Monday, June 11, 2018

Gratitude


Day 11 - What Holiday are you grateful for?
Independence Day, also referred to as the Fourth of July or July Fourth, is a federal holiday in the United States commemorating the adoption of the Declaration of Independence on July 4, 1776. The Continental Congress declared that the thirteen American colonies regarded themselves as a new nation, the United States of America.

This was also the holiday I spent time with my family. My brother invited family and friends to a Fourth of July party at his house for many years. Except one, the year his daughter was having some major boyfriend issues and they were all just too upset to consider having people over. My SIL continued the tradition last year. Her nephew is getting married that weekend this year so there will be no party. But, I am pretty sure she will want to continue it in the future. 

Here is what my To Do list looks like today:


I have started giving myself daily goals by looking at my list in the evening 
and deciding what I want to work on the next day. I have crossed off some items 
for today and a couple that are on the list but not listed as goals for today. 
The day isn't over yet so I still have time to cross off more items.


Here is the front bed along the road ditch today after about 3 hours of work.
All the dead branches are trimmed, some pruning is done, weeds are gone. 
I still need to mulch, but it looks so much better. 



From the left is Hibiscus, variegated Weigela, Peony, Lilac, Peony, Azalea, Peony, Lilac, Peony, Weigela, Peony, Knockout Rose, Spiderwort, Knockout Rose, Peony. When we moved in there were only the Peonies planted there. I don't know why the Peony on the far right is so much bigger. It has been that way for the 20+ years we have lived here, even when there were only Peony bushes planted along that ditch. We have been slowly adding more plants, but that one has always remained much bigger than the rest. It is white and usually loaded with blooms every year. Two of the other Peonies are white, the other three are dark pink. The one on the far left is at risk of being smothered out by the Lilac and I am thinking of moving it.

On the sewing front, I have Diamond Head under my needle.




The stack of black behind is ready to press.

Here is a peek at the quilt I am hand quilting for a friend:


I am not quite half finished with the quilting.


I am setting myself the goal of quilting one block a day.



Small Quilt and Doll Quilts is hosting Design Wall Mondays and
 
What a Hoot Quilts is challenging quilters to finish '18 in 2018'
 
Check them out.