Tuesday, June 5, 2018

Gratitude Day 5

  Day 5 - What sound are you grateful for today?
 The radio. I enjoy having the music and news while I am in the kitchen.
 
And, what am I doing in the kitchen?
This...
 

Rhubarb bread. Five little loaves. I mixed some strawberries in too. Why? Because I had some leftover from making this...

 
I made a few changes to the recipe. I used 6 cups of fruit - 3 cups of rhubarb and 3 cups of strawberries. I used 2 cups of sugar and half of a 6 oz. package of strawberry jello. We'll see what happens.
 
I started out early this morning, before 7:00 am - to work on my yard. It was beautiful then. The day had not heated up yet, slight breeze, shady part of the yard. 


I already had a little less than 1/2 of the bed along the ditch weeded. Today I hauled away 3 1/2 large garbage cans of weeds and dead trimmings. There are 5 peony bushes. Two of them are a beautiful dark pink, the other three are white. Also, two Knock-Out Roses, some Spiderwort, Hollyhocks, an azalea/rhododendron, two Weigela, several volunteer Walnuts and two standard Lilacs. There are LOTS of volunteer lilacs sprouting up all over. That is what I am working on getting rid of the most.  I like lilacs and have several more planted along the fence line to the south, but I don't want them to take over that front area. They are smothering out the other plants. I am 3/4 finished with this area. I stopped when the day started to heat up and the wind also picked up. And, the flies started biting. They were biting hard! so I quit. 
 
I hope to get to the rest of it tomorrow before the hay baling starts.
 
 
Small Quilt and Doll Quilts is hosting Design Wall Mondays and
 
What a Hoot Quilts is challenging quilters to finish '18 in 2018'
 
Check them out.