Tuesday, June 26, 2018

A Good Day

Sunday was 'date day' for us.
This jokingly started back when my son was still living at home. 
Since we like to do our shopping early in the morning (while most other people 
are still at home/in bed) our son didn't want to come along since it was 'too early'. 
So we had some quiet time to ourselves. I know that makes us sound like bad parents, 
but my son is special needs and we just needed some alone time once in a while. 

Anyway, we went to the farm store, found most of what we needed and moved on the the WM store. Again, finding most of what we needed. Had a nice talk in the car as we were driving along taking the scenic route. We were home well before noon so we decided to sort through some of the many boxes taking up a corner of the tool shed where husband used to park a tractor. A little back story is needed here - many years ago (40 FORTY!?!?), after graduating high school my husband had moved 2 hours south of his family farm. 
His grandparents passed away a few years later. It was decided the house would be 
rented out so everything had to be removed. The items from their house, belonging to 
my mother-in-law's parents and grandparents, that would be kept but nobody 
wanted/had room for would go to husband's house two hours away. 

Apparently during the years there was more stuff that nobody had room for but didn't want to get rid of so one of the upstairs rooms of the grandparent's house was turned into a store room. A lock was put on the door so the renters could not access it.  

Twenty+ years ago when we moved back to the family farm I carefully packed up 
all the wonderful things that nobody wanted, labeled the boxes as to what the contents 
were and they got moved back into the grandparent's house. Three years ago it was decided that the house should be sold so all the things in that room were brought to our 
 tool shed because they couldn't be gotten rid of but nobody wanted them. 

Relatives told us they would come and go through it and take what they wanted. That happened once and that turns into another sad story that I will skip for today. It has been almost two years since anyone wanted to look through these things. Time for it to go. We kept a few things, but it was with a sad heart that we took most of it to the dumpster. We are glad it is gone, and I understand that people today do not want things that belonged to elderly relatives. But, I couldn't help but think about how someone carefully chose those items for their family. Or, that they were gifted by someone who loved them. But, now those boxes are gone. There is still more to go through another day.

On the way back from the dumpster we found a patch of wild blackberries and filled up two butter tubs. Those were eaten on vanilla ice cream later that evening. Yum!

It was a good day, we got some things done that we had been intending to do but hadn't made time for and it seemed that everything just fell in place. 
Something that doesn't happen often for us. 

Yesterday I had a lovely lunch with a co-worker that I haven't seen since the end of the school year. She is having some family issues that she needed to vent about. We talked for a long time. I hope her family is able to work it all out.

Today my quilty group visited a local quilt shop. Sadly, they are closing in a few weeks. 
All fabric was discounted to $3.99 a yard. That is hard to pass up. 
Here is my haul (the second one in a week's time). 


Fat eighths.
Cute quilts! I have a plan for these!
Fat quarters - $1.00 each

Minimum cut of 1 yard was required. I took the rest of the bolt of some of these.
Most of these I have plans ideas for. Some will marinate in my stash but will eventually get used. I am always adding fat quarters and light backgrounds. I say I am adding to my retirement fund. When fabric is that price ($3.99/yd.) it is hard to pass up!

I finished the quilting on this T-shirt quilt. 



And, now my thoughts turn to working on a fair project.


Pulling fabric and thinking, thinking and pulling more fabric.


What a Hoot Quilts is challenging quilters to finish '18 in 2018'.
Check them out.