Monday, June 4, 2018

Gratitude Day 4

Day 4 - What food are you grateful for?
Watermelon!
 We like watermelon but seem to have a hard time choosing a good one. They are either not ripe enough or have very little flavor. This time I chose a quarter melon piece. I could see that the flesh was juicy and red. It was yummy! A full watermelon is really too much for just the two of us anyway. I think I will continue to buy pre-cut pieces.
 
These are my projects for today:
1) Sunflower place mats that will go to my sister-in-law. 
 
Fabric is Follow the Sun by Wilmington Prints. Here is a link to one source.

Follow the Sun Place Mats Kit
Another source.
 
I did buy enough panels to make 8 place mats. The green fabric is from Wal-Mart. It matches well and will be used for the back and binding. I only got enough of that for 4 place mats. I might enter one set in the fair, but I need to make matching napkins to qualify as an entry so I will need to get more fabric. I am thinking of making them reversible. I haven't started this project yet and am thinking I won't get to it today.
 
2) Turn a denim jacket into a vest, also for my sister-in-law. Her sister's son is getting married July 6th. She bought a cute dress, but it is a sundress and she wanted more coverage. Unable to find a vest in the right color she bought a jacket and asked me to remove the sleeves. It is not a hard job, just time-consuming. The process of taking it apart took longer than the sewing.

The jacket wanting to be a vest.
Removing the topstitching.

Removing the seam stitching.
Removing the overcast stitch.
Attaching the binding.
Sewing down the binding.
Topstitching.
Inside.
Outside.

Finished.
I decided to add the binding because I think it gives a more finished look.
I think it turned out nicely. I hope she likes it. 
 
Again, this wasn't hard, just a little time-consuming. Sometimes people don't realize the amount of work that goes into altering clothing. I usually would rather start from the beginning than take apart an article of clothing, especially if the changes are for fit. This job was an easy one, though, and I am glad I was able to help her out.
 
Small Quilt and Doll Quilts is hosting Design Wall Mondays and
 
What a Hoot Quilts is challenging quilters to finish '18 in 2018'
 
Check them out.