Friday, August 2, 2019

Today I Spent My Day

Cutting, cutting and more cutting. Seriously, all morning. 
I have all the squares cut. I need to cut about 100 more strips. 
It seems like it is taking a long time, but I am sorting - triangles in one pile, skinny strips in another, etc.

This afternoon I had to helped with baling hay.
I am happy to be helpful, but it makes me so nervous. And, we did my two least favorite fields today.

One is about a half mile long, is less than 100 feet wide, has a fence (neighbor's) at one end, beans on one side and a deep dredge ditch on the other. I stop at the end where the fence is and let Husband make the turn. I do not want to take out any beans, or even worse, the neighbor's fence.

The other field is not quite a half mile long, crops on three sides and a deep dredge ditch right down the middle that is as long as the hay field. There is a narrow passage at the end of the ditch that has to be crossed four times. This field is so narrow that one windrow of hay is baled on one side, cross the passage to bale one windrow on the other side, cross back to bale another windrow, cross to other side to bale last windrow and cross back AGAIN to get the last windrow.

The crops all around make me nervous. They are our crops, but I don't want to be the one who runs them over. Those ditches make me nervous. I am so scared of getting to close to the edge and putting all of it - the tractor, baler, hay rack, MY HUSBAND, into the ditch.
I usually end up in tears at least once or twice every year. It happened once already. I didn't cry today, though. Yay me!

When we were baling the field with the ditch in the middle we noticed a police car stopped behind my vehicle (actually Husband's old Expedition) which I had pulled just off the road into the field. Then he drove off. I worried that I wasn't far enough off the road, but I was. Don't know what that was about. While baling Husband noticed a decent size hunk of wood laying in the field. Then, we noticed that one tail light/turn signal was not working on the Expedition. Then, the brakes went out. Fortunately, we were at home when we discovered that fun tidbit. And, that hunk of wood? Turns out it was a piece off the underside of the hay rack and the back tire is now rubbing there. Always something.

1 comment:

A Left-Handed Quilter said...

Always something - ain't that the truth? Boy - those ditches would make me nervous, too! And that's a whole lot of cutting - makes me appreciate my die cutter - ;))