Wednesday, August 7, 2019

Productive

Sort of.
I still feel like I don't get much done each day, although I am marking things off my list.
Yesterday I was able to pack up my tote for Sew Day.
I finished cutting all the hexies for the flower blocks in the colors I needed.
It was a challenge to find the right fabrics in my stash. I don't have a lot of calico type fabrics anymore. 



And this is all I had left of one fabric.
Today I am making cards.
This is a new craft to me. I found some packets of cards on sale at Joann's a while back and that made me thing I should try card making. I decided that I would use the cross stitch ornaments to make cards instead of ornaments because, well, because I can. At least I hope I can. I got cards with an oval cutout and cards with a four paned window cutout on the front. It seems to be working ok so far except I am having difficulty finding anything that will work with the 4 paned window cutout.


I made the blue snowflakes with my embroidery machine. I am trying to figure out a way that they can be removed from the card and used as a decoration.

The oval cutout is easier to fill.
 
The lettering looks pink in this photo, but it is red. I didn't pay attention to the size of the word merry and had to turn it a little. But, there is still plenty of room to write a message and that gives it some character, right?
Then I attached the beaded sunflower piece to a card and stamped a little message inside.
 
And used some scraps to make a quilt on one.
 
I am thinking about making another quilt card with some actual stitching next.

After attaching things to the front of the cards I did the stamping. Having never done that before I thought it turned out OK. The ink coverage wasn't as good as I hoped. I watched some You Tube videos after I made the cards. I know, a little backwards but I did learn some things so I hope the next cards I make turn out a little better.

*EDIT: no matter how many times I proofread, how carefully I arrange the photos, add or remove spaces, edit and edit again, my pages never look the way I intent for them to look.

1 comment:

A Left-Handed Quilter said...

That's a lot of hexies!! I'm like you - I don't think I have that many calicos in my stash anymore - but as soon as I say that - I'll find a box - you just watch - LOL. Your cards look GREAT - very creative - and I can see where the oval would be easier to fill than the four-paned window ones - I wonder what they had in mind when they designed them that way - ;))