Saturday, August 17, 2019

Busy Day

Thursday was a busy day.
At Sew Day pieced two more flowers.
And started prepping another.

Then, I participated in a painting class and made these.

The other class participants said it looked like a flower which was my intent. I was hoping for a sunflower look. The choice of paint colors provided was good, but not quite the colors I had in mind. I ended up using bright yellow and mixing bright yellow with a drop of orange to get the colors I used. I am thinking dark brown dots in the center to mimic seeds might make it look more sunflower - ish. Or Husband said just paint the middle square brown. I am also thinking of making some seasonal embellishments to stick to the photo frame on the left side. There is space there because the stencil used for the class had arrows in that space which I didn't care for so I didn't paint them.Maybe it doesn't need anything. It just seems that when a photo is clip on the words may not look centered.

I was thinking about gifting these to my SIL who loves to take pictures and also loves sunflowers, but I'm not sure that I am entirely happy with them. The paint used for the letters bled under the stencil and doesn't look as 'sharp' as I would have liked. And, the yellow and gold paint is not even on the sunflower. I could redo that though, and probably will with colors more to my liking.

This is the second paint class I have taken where we made barn quilt blocks.

The woman who instructs the class is an elementary teacher and does a nice job of teaching the classes. I just have not been 100% happy with my results. She did mention that the wood used for this latest project seemed different than wood she has used in the past. She painted the white background for all of us before hand this time because the stencil was more complicated and so the project took longer to do. She said she needed to apply more coats of paint than usually and still didn't get good coverage. This time the quilt block wasn't framed. I think a frame gives a more finished look. So, overall, while it was a fun experience, I am a little disappointed and I don't think I will do this type of class again.

I continue to work on this Snowman. Only the white and backstitching is left to do.

1 comment:

A Left-Handed Quilter said...

Your flowers are coming along nicely - LOVE the next one you have prepared!! And your Sunflower block is the prettiest one in the whole class - the others look "ordinary" to me. I like your Husband's idea of painting the center block brown - easy for you and still gives the impression of a sunflower. That's a great quote on your picture frame - and I like your idea of a seasonal embellishment in the corner to "balance" it out - just a little touch of "extra". Besides all of that - your snowman is cute - ;))