Monday, January 20, 2020

Design Wall Monday

To see what other quilters are up to visit Small Quilts and Doll Quilts.



I haven't posted for a few day, but that's because I have been a little busy.




On Wednesday I did some household tasks and got projects ready for Sew Day. 




I also finished quilting this quilt. Then it was on to the binding. While it looked good on the front the back was a different story.

Took that out and tried again. Ugh. 
Finally, on the third try it looked good.
Corners look good. 
All done.
I delivered it Thursday morning. 
She loved it! 
I am not sure I will ever do a satin binding again. I did not enjoy it one bit.

I cut fabric for more.
I am pulling from stash. Even the white was in my stash. I like to keep several yards on hand for any project I may need it for. I may change the layout as I get more blocks finished.

I had to look through my stash one evening to find a fabric for a piece I cut too small. I told Husband that it is good to have a decent stash at home so I don't have to go to the store. He responded that I should always buy more than I think I will need, too. What a great guy! He understands my passion.



This is out my front door that day. 
Cold, wet and dreary again.

At Sew Day on Thursday I got the blocks made using the red and black 5 yard bundle. This flannel is so soft.
I got 6 blocks sewn into a row. I need to add two more blocks to this row and then make four more rows. 
I will work on this more at Retreat which starts on Thursday.



Friday I helped my neighbors. They own a local diner. Their waitress needed the day off so I filled in for her. I worked fast food when I was younger. Much younger! But, I have never waitressed. I took orders, filled drinks, took orders to tables, ran the register and cleaned tables. It was only for a few hours and I only needed help a few times. Some of the regulars were confused to see me and not the regular waitress, but I think it went well.




Saturday I went on a little shopping trip with my quilt friends. We weren't sure we would be able to go since during the night we got a little snow, then freezing rain. But it warmed up enough that the roads were not slick and improved as the day went on. 

I only got a few things. I had the bundle shown on top in this photo. I found the paisley print for a really good price. I couldn't pass it up. I love paisley. It might make a good border with these fabrics.



I recently got this panel of a cow print
Son's GF loves cows.Riley Blake Barnyard Friends Longhorn Cow Dogs #B COW PANEL


I found a barn wood type print in both red and gray and the plaid in those colors. The gray barn wood piece looks blue in this photo, but it really is more gray.


I am trying to decide what to do to make this into a throw size quilt for her. Here are some ideas I am pondering.
 American Byways - Pastoral Retreat Free Quilt Pattern by Hoffman Fabrics Quilt Kit  Cardinal Call of the Wild Panel and Coordinating image 0 
 

Her birthday is coming up soon so I need to get busy if I want to finish it in time. A four day retreat starts Thursday so I should be able to get the top pieced. 



My photo for Saturday shows cold, wet dreary...again. It's hard to see but it was trying to snow. By late afternoon the temperature was dropping and the wind picked up.


Today was a lazy day. I didn't do much, but I did get some more SBC2020 blocks made. I now have 23. I will cut more fabric today.

I haven't decided on a layout yet. 
I am just putting them up on the design wall as I finish them.


The weather was very cold and very windy with flurries.

I am thankful for the pop of cheerful color from the geranium blooms. 


This morning's photo...


Looks like we had got a bit of snow during the night. The temperature rose a little also and the wind isn't as strong. Wind chills in the minus numbers make it hard on animals and farmers. Thankful we don't have lots of snow and ice.

3 comments:

Churn Dash said...

I think I will learn from your lesson and not use a satin binding!

I love your colour blocks. I did a similar thing but with half square triangles which were a pain to cut out and keep organised. I like how yours look and I think I might adopt a similar block for an on going scrap quilt.

Helen

A Left-Handed Quilter said...

I agree on the satin binding - I think I tried it once - but I still have some in the drawer - so it must not have been that much fun or I'd have used up what I had - if that makes sense - LOL. That is a GREAT cow print!! - Any of those layouts should work - and she is sure to LOVE it!! - ;))

Bonnie said...

Ugh -- nasty weather but like that you got out to the store with quilting buddies. I really like the block you are doing from stash busters. I think I'm still a member -- I may go on and see if I can find it and use it for the Rainbow Scrap Challenge this year. Good luck with your cow panel. And have a great time at retreat!