Saturday, January 11, 2020

Getting It Done

Sort of. Not as much as I would like, but making progress.


I got the binding removed from the flannel receiving blanket.

Now I need to get it loaded on the quilt frame and quilted. It won't take long. I will use a loose, loopy design to keep the quilt soft and cuddly. Then the satin binding needs to be put on. I have not done satin binding before so I did a little research. I found this tutorial at Stitching with 2 Strings that is well written and gives a nice finish that I think will be secure enough for a quilt that is likely to be washed and dried often.


Then I cut the red and black flannel 5 Yard bundle that I got earlier this week.














I will work on this at the next Sew Day which is Thursday. It should work up pretty quickly. The pattern was provided by the quilt shop with the bundle. The lady that owns the quilt shop where this bundle was purchased has designed several patterns specifically for 5 yard bundles. She has requested that they not be copied. I like these patterns because they work up quickly. Backing does need to be added.


I also made a few more Spool blocks. 

I still need to get the sewing machine appliqued for the center of this quilt. These spool blocks are fun and quick to make. The pattern I used for the spools is here. I reduced the size to finish at 4 inches. I am using this  sewing machine applique for the center. 


I have finished up some more dishclothes and scrubbies. These are good to work on during TV time and knit up quickly.

I like to give these for little gifts and I use them myself so it's always nice to have some on hand.


I am struggling to get into a routine lately and I am determined to get some of my projects and kits finished up. I am making lists.

The daughter of one of the ladies in my quilt group made these cute little notebooks for all of us. I chose one with a butterfly on it. Isn't it lovely? I had taken a bag of left over trims to group recently. The bag went home to the daughter to use to make more. I was glad it went to someone who would use them. 

Recently I inventoried and photographed all my projects and kits I could remember and find. I made a spread sheet with the pictures, where each project is being stored and where it was at in the process of being finished.
I inserted those pages into a daily planner I created. I also created some blank pages so I could add projects as needed. I found the binder, pages and stickers at a local dollar store. I created pages that fit my style and needs. Daily I make a list of a few things that must be done for each day - this includes projects with deadlines, appointments, etc. Then I list things I want to get done - cut fabric for a project, add a border, certain household tasks, etc. I try to keep the lists short so as not to feel overwhelmed. At the beginning of each day I look at my list and check things off as I do them. I don't usually finish everything on the list and some days I feel like I haven't gotten much done so I have started writing down all the other things I have done each day that aren't on the list. You know, sometimes things just come up that have to be dealt with that aren't on the list. At the end of each day I review the lists to see what got done and what didn't. Some days I did more than I thought. Then, I make a new list for the next day. Most of the things on my list are not urgent so I can rearrange my lists depending on what I feel like doing. 
This is helping me keep on track and get things done. 


It  rained all night, sometimes it poured. Water is standing everywhere.

We have water coming into the basement. The sump pump is running almost continually. Thankful for the sump pump! Husband is at his dad's house trying to get ahead of the water coming into his basement. 


FIL is still at the skilled nursing facility and, oddly, seems to be quite content there. His attitude seems so much better. I just can't figure it out, but not complaining.


One last thing, about the Apple Fritter Pull Apart Bread. 

It is tasty and Husband has requested we have it again sometime. Next time I will make half the recipe in a smaller pan. The center is very soft and seems doughy to me. I wonder if that is because it has taken us few days to eat it all. It may need to bake longer, but I baked it about 15 minutes, in 5 minute increments,  more than the recipe said to and I didn't want it to be dry. I will cut the apple pieces larger. I just don't notice much apple flavor. I will use half the amount of butter called for. I will use the icing provided with the cinnamon rolls. It tastes fine. 


OK, off to check my daily planner!

1 comment:

A Left-Handed Quilter said...

You found a terrific tutorial on attaching satin binding! I'm looking forward to seeing what becomes of your five yards of flannel. When you finish - would you come over to my house and inventory my projects and set up a binder for me? - LOL - ;))