Thursday, January 9, 2020

Baking

I don't do much baking anymore. I used to bake a lot and enjoyed it. I guess I would rather do other things now. I don't really need all the calories that come with the baking. :(  And, I don't like the clean up.

We have an apple tree in our yard that produced some apples this year. The birds and bugs got quite a few but there were apples enough for a few pies. I made one right after picking the apples. I peeled, sliced and made pie filling for the freezer with the rest. Today I baked a pie.
It looks like it turned out ok. It has big holes in the top because I was testing to see if the apples were getting soft and pulled an apple slice right through the top crust. We haven't tried it yet. I made caramel for dipping apples a few days ago and I am thinking that will be tasty drizzled on the pie.

Then I decided to try this recipe for Apple Fritter Pull Apart Bread from 12 Tomatoes.
Mine looks a little different than their photo, but it tastes good! It kind of pulled apart on its own when I removed it from the pan. I think next time I will use more apples. I didn't grate mine; I diced the apple very small though. I didn't use all that I cut up because it seemed like too much, but I think I should have used them all. I didn't use all the butter and think next time half the amount called for will be enough. I also didn't make icing. There were icing tubs included in the cinnamon roll packages and it just didn't make sense to me to throw them away or use them for another purpose only to make up more as the recipe calls for. I put one tub of icing on about 15 minutes after the bread came out of the oven and the other one after it had cooled more. Husband requested a second piece so that must mean it tastes ok! I think it will be good warmed up for breakfast.