Monday, June 1, 2020

Windmills

is a Fab Five Pattern from The Quilt Factory





I have gotten several five yard bundles of fabric from a quilt store I frequent. 
The owner has designed several patterns to go with the bundles. They are nice but I wanted to try a new one. 

I found Windmills. It went together quickly. It finishes at 56 x 72. Because I was thinking of making this for son's GF's brother I switched out the piece with the roses for a red print.

I like the pattern, but it really isn't long enough for brother - he's well over 6 ft tall. My mom calls him Big J because he is so tall.

Anyway, I got Windmills loaded on the quilt frame. I used a red backing fabric. I am using a variegated thread that goes from dark red to gray on the back and a light gray thread on the top.


I chose a swirly design called Page Boy.

To see what other quilters are up to go to Small Quilts and Doll Quilts.

Around my yard today the Peonies opening up. They are so pretty

The Hibiscus has had seven new stems. I don't have an eye witness or a confession, but the evidence shows a nice clean cut - Rabbit, I'm looking at you!

I seems the common lilac wasn't done blooming. There are a few way up high.

Miss Kim is a late blooming lilac, but it looks like the frost may have gotten it. There are a few blooms, but they are very sparse. 

Malva Zebrina is a new perennial for me. I got it planted day before yesterday. It looks like a miniature Hollyhock. Love the colors.

The milkweeds are doing well. I am looking forward to seeing Monarch butterflies.

We had purchased a cute little garden bench from a local woodworker several years ago. I have moved it around the flower beds and used it to put potted flowers on. It is the bench Rabbit likes to sit under.  

It has been left outside all these years and finally fell apart. The back is still intact and looks like a fence to me so I decided to give it a coat of paint.
I want a rustic look, but I think it will need at least one more coat. Then I have to decide where to put it. Right now I am using building blocks to help it stay upright. If I do that it can be moved anywhere I want to put it. Pots with bushy, trailing plants can be set in the holes of the blocks. Some pots or long planter boxes can be set in front. 

My latest recipe is 
We like it. I wouldn't say it tastes like cinnamon rolls, but it is good. I was thinking I might make half the recipe next time. That will depend on how quickly this gets eaten. Husband is in the field for the next few days. He isn't around the house to nibble like he usually does. He also doesn't eat lunch when he is farming so this won't disappear as quickly, as long as I can stay out of it.

Stay safe and well.

3 comments:

Vicki in MN said...

Loving your windmill quilt! Are those fabrics from Bolines by chance, looks like their packaging:) We enjoyed having milkweeds for the first time last year, they are there this year too. We did see more monarchs last year than before.

Sara said...

The red was a great choice for the Windmills quilt. It makes the pinwheels/windmills really pop.

A Left-Handed Quilter said...

I like the red in your quilt, too - it goes nicely with the grays!! Putting the bench back/fence in the building blocks to keep it upright is VERY clever - I'm looking forward to seeing where you decide to set it - ;))