Monday, June 15, 2020

Butterflies and Sunflowers

To see what other quilters are up to go to

Son and his GF asked me to make a baby quilt for her sister who is expecting a baby girl in September. Of course I said yes.
This is a quilt they saw on Pinterest that they really like, but want a few changes.

I have ordered the fabric for the background, border and backing. 
The rest I pulled from my stash.

I really am so thankful for my stash!

Not all of these fabrics will get used, but it sure is nice to have choices.

I can't do any sewing until the fabrics arrive, but I can get the applique pieces ready.

I cut three sets of leaves and petals for 
each of the three sizes of sunflowers. 
I'll cut the stems once I know how 
long they will need to be. 

I am working on butterflies now.

I'm cutting 3-4 of each color.

I know I will need more. Once the fabric gets here I can lay things out to get an idea of what it looks like and what is still needed. 

Normally I would try to get this finished quickly so it could be a fair entry before passing it on. I won't be able to do that. There had been talk of our local county fair still going on, but limiting admissions to people under age 60 only. Many of the judges, building supervisors and assistants are elderly so I was confused how this would be possible. A couple of weeks ago I got a message that it is canceled altogether. Many others in the area are as well. Last week we got word that our state fair is also canceled. I have mixed feelings about this. I am an assistant in the Fine Arts building. I was considering not helping this year. I was really feeling reluctant to come into contact with so many people, from all over the area. I felt there could be a huge risk of being around these people and handling their items. That decision was made for me. I am sad for all the 4-H and FFA kids, though. They work hard on their projects. Even though there will be virtual events for them, it just isn't the same. There is also the economic impact on all these communities to think about. 

Stay safe and well.

2 comments:

Bonnie said...

The beginning of the baby quilt is exciting. I love your rainbow of available fabrics. I can understand both feeling sorry something is canceled and relieved it was canceled. I am not sure whether I want to participate in anything with a huge crowd of people from various locations. I was so disappointed that a quilt show and two quilt retreats have been canceled. But I am worrying about a retreat to be held in early October. 22 people in a room just big enough for sewing tables, cutting tables and ironing boards. Meals are in a central location which often means 100+ people gathering -- lines, tables too close together, ugh. I'm not sure if I want to go or not although I made the last payment this week. Maybe if we could get our food $ refunded and arranged our own meals it would be better.... It is a tough time and will be for at least a year or two.

Barbara Anne said...

Hi - I just popped in from Small Quilts and wonder if you know the name of this charming pattern? Are you making it similar to the photo but from your imagination and expertise?

Love the fabrics that you've pulled for possible use in this happy quilt!

Wishing you well.