Friday, June 5, 2020

Now You See Them


Now you don't. They didn't just snip the leaves off. The leaves, stems, everything are GONE. There were nine mini cucumber plants doing well in this raised bed.
I think the culprits are likely the starlings. They seem to destroy so many things - garden veggies, bird nests, etc. I think it unlikely that rabbits are jumping up into this raised bed, but it could be possible. When my  mom was still working she discovered baby bunnies in a large planter (hip high) filled with flowers. 

More bad news. I took a good look at some of the flowers around my yard today. They just didn't bloom like they usually do. There are unopened buds on the peonies and poppies. 
I guess the late frost we had this year got to them. So disappointing.

The good news is the cantaloupe plants have tiny yellow blossoms. 

If all goes well (fingers crossed) there should be cantaloupes in a few months. This one is protected with a clay tile. The other 2 have wire cloches over them. I started out with six; three are left.

Even with the disappointment of frosted buds I am enjoying the things that are blooming or near blooming.


  
Stay safe and well.

No comments: