Saturday, March 24, 2018

Spring ? Break

I am on Spring Break until April 2. That is the Happy Thought.

However, this is what it looks like at my house today. Not a great start to Spring Break.


Looking west out my front door. 
The wind is coming from the east so this side of the house is protected. It looks pretty mild here.


Facing south.
This picture shows that it is snowing, but it does not show how much 
snow is falling and how hard the wind is blowing. 

I traveled about 20 miles north for the Quilter's Exchange meeting this morning. When I left my house there were just a few snowflakes in the air, it was windy and the temperature was 38 degrees. By the time I arrived at my meeting it was snowing a little harder and very windy. When I left my meeting it was snowing harder, still windy and 32 degrees. The roads became slicker the closer I got to home and I was only able to go about 30 mph. Glad to be home. It does seem to be letting up a little. We are predicted to get 3-6 inches before it is over. The weather map shows that this could continue for a while.

At my meeting I delivered the last of the baby quilts to my friend. 



I am glad to be finished with these. They are all very cute and now she has a few to have on hand when needed. This makes 2 finishes for  '18 in 2018' by What a Hoot Quilts.

Here is my list: (pictures in this post.)
1) Quilt Ruth's two baby quilts DONE
2) T-shirt quilt #1 - top is finished except borders. Needs borders, quilted and bound.
3) T-shirt quilt #2 - still in the bag it came to me in.
4) Media Cart Cover for school - measurements have been taken, fabric has been purchased.

5) Fire Island Hosta Queen - the kit was purchased and started in 2014. All units have been cut
      and/or pieced. Sets have been organized. Needs assembled, quilted, bound. 
     ** Assembly of the center was done at Quilt Retreat in January. I hope to finish the top at  
     retreat in April.

6) Strip Around the Block - pieced, needs borders, quilted, bound. Border, backing and binding
     fabric has been purchased.
7) Owl Place Mats and Napkins - my husband purchased this as a kit for place mats, apron and pot
     holder. There has been no sewing on this. I would like to enter them in the local county fair as
     place mats, but napkins are required. Fabric for napkins needs to be purchased. 
     I have no picture yet.
8) Zip Bag - it is started.
9) Clutch and Wallet - the clutch is a kit that I found this summer and the fabrics coordinate well
     with the Zip Bag. The wallet pattern has been purchased and will use the same fabrics as the Zip
     Bag and Clutch.
10) Exchange Quilt 2017 - blocks are all made, thanks to my exchange group. I need to decide on a 
     layout, quilt and bind it.
11) Exchange Quilt 2016 - blocks are made, thanks to my exchange group. I need to decide on a
     layout, quilt and bind it.  
12) Butterfly Quilt - I started this on several years ago. It was a kit for a wall hanging, but I wanted it
     bigger so I made up my own design. Needs borders, quilted, bound. 
13) Blooming Stars Bed Runner - for my mom. She bought the kit, and said no hurry. I need    
     deadlines! It is partially assembled - 4 of the 5 stars, I think. Needs finished, quilted, bound.
14) Charming Beauty Quilt - a kit, partially cut. I goofed when cutting the pieces and don't have
     enough of one of the fabrics. I wasn't able to find more and gave up searching for a replacement. I
     need to find something suitable and get this one finished. See it on the left in the picture above.   
     **Upon checking I find that I did find a replacement and all pieces are cut.
15) Prism Quilt - kit. Nothing done yet.
16) Snowman - free pattern from Pat Sloan. Just an idea at this point, but wouldn't just the snowman
     part make a great mug rug, or a look cute displayed on a stand?
17) 4 tops - alter. I have 4 tops that are either too snug or too short. I need to remedy that. No pic.
18) Pick One of any of the following (if I make it this far) - these would be good fair projects.
 - Thankful and Bloom Hoop Embroideries from Cutesy Crafts.
 - Feathered Star Christmas Wall Hanging - started years ago.
 - Corrugated Quilt - kit, still in package. 
 - On Ringo Lake - free from Bonnie Hunter.
 - Gnome for the Holidays BOM - free from Fat Cat Patterns. 
     Since this is a BOM I am hoping to keep up with it. 
 
My hope is that I get some of these projects further along over break. Since I usually am overly ambitious in my thinking of what I can accomplish I am going to be conservative and say I want to finish 2 of these projects. First up will be the Media Cart cover. I have been reimbursed for the fabric and really need to get this one done. Next will be the T-shirt quilt that needs borders, quilted and bound. And, since I will need some little projects I will probably work on the Snow Much Fun BOM from Quilt Doodle Designs. Buttons to embellish with can be found under the Button Packs tab on the left.

I have finished the block for January. Embellishments will be added after quilting.
 

 I have printed February and March instructions/patterns. I need to work on these before I get behind!

See what other quilters are up to at Small Quilts and Doll Quilts.
What a Hoot Quilts is challenging quilters to finish '18 in 2018'. Check it out.

No comments: