Saturday, March 10, 2018

The Good, The Bad and The Ugly

 
The good first...
The last few days have been sunny, a little cool, but nice enough to be outside for recess.
 
There were a few 'lightbulb' moments this week with some students which is always gratifying.
 
My package that criss-crossed the state was delivered 2 days early. 
 
The local 4-H group is having their pork chop supper tonight. No cooking for me! 

I have loaded the last quilt of five for my quilt friend. I hope to finish it this weekend.





 
I am also starting on a new project. 
 
The free pattern can be found here.
And, a little video here
I like the kitty pincushion my sister-in-law gave me. 
I love kitties and I love her.


Next, the bad...
The school where I work will be instituting a new policy beginning in April after we come back from Spring Break. This policy will not allow parents into the building during student drop-off and pick-up times. It will also not allow parents into the classrooms unless they have been invited by the teacher and that must be pre-arranged. I have mixed emotions about this. We have preschool and kindergarten age children in our building and I understand the need for some parents and students to still have the parent involvement. We also have a few students who will benefit from not having hovering parents hanging out half the morning. I believe it will make their transition into the day easier and there will be fewer tears and upset. But, I am saddened that we have had to implement this policy because of a recent incident at another school in the district. I understand that we are probably the only district in our area that still allows parents into the building in this way.  So mixed emotions.
 
We ordered a second wheelchair ramp for my son on Jan. 21. There was a problem with the manufacturer and we had been in limbo for several weeks. Finally, the company we ordered from realized that they had a ramp that fit our needs close enough in their warehouse and offered to sell it to us a a reduced cost. We said ok. I started to receive tracking information later that day. Tracking showed that the package moved from Georgia late on Monday to Hodgkins, Illinois very early Wednesday. I expected that it would be delivered to us Wednesday. That didn't happen. The next day tracking information was updated to show delivery would happen Thursday by end of day, but it did not show that it was out for delivery. I called UPS that evening requesting more information. I was told the package was processed for delivery and would be delivered the next day, Friday, by end of day. I explained my concern that the package was lost and what had happened with the first ramp we had ordered. Again, I was told 'no worries, it would be delivered Friday. Early Thursday tracking information changed to state what I had been told, but still did not show that it was out for delivery. It was not delivered Friday. I called UPS again. And, again, I was told the package had been processed for delivery. There was talk about packages loaded first where last off the truck, blah, blah, blah. I explained that the package had been sitting at it's last destination since Wednesday and I was concerned it was lost. The reply was, "Oh, we may need to start a lost package investigation". I was handed off to that department. An investigation has been started.

The Ugly...
I am so frustrated, disappointed and angry about what seems to me to be a lack of good customer service, a lack of pride in a job well done, whatever you want to call it, that I had a few bad moments with the UPS agents I spoke with the last two days. I did apologize and stated that I understand it is not THEIR fault. I also stated that I am disappointed and angry that this has happened for a second time. When the last agent asked me to describe the item and package I told her what it is - a wheelchair ramp. It is over 30 inches wide and 5 feet long. 
Awfully big to be misplaced, especially twice. She was friendlier and more cooperative after that. Tracking now shows that a lost package investigation has been started.
The thing is, if they are unable to find this package, or it is badly damaged, it cannot be replace. At least not replaced with an exact item since the manufacturer is apparently not doing business at the moment. We like that particular ramp for several reasons and do not want to use a different type. 
I just want people to do their jobs and take responsibility for bad service.
A lost package does not affect them personally, but it allows 
son gets in and out of his apartment in a safe and dignified manner.
 
 
See what other quilters are up to at Small Quilts and Doll Quilt
What a Hoot Quilts is challenging quilters to finish '18 in 2018'. Check it out.

No comments: