Friday, September 13, 2019

What To Do, What To Do...

EDIT: I started this post yesterday, but got side-tracked (see below for more on that). As I am writing this morning I am listening to this.





Husband says a farmer in the area is having cover crops planted by plane. The plane is flying right over the house when it makes the turn to back over the field. It is very loud. It is before 8:00. Have I mentioned I am NOT a morning person. Good thing being married to an early-rising farmer forces me to be up way before then.

I spotted this lovely hanging off the porch while I as taking pics of the plane.
No wonder I walk through spider webs every time I go out the front door.

I am working - still - on organizing the sewing/guest room.
Here is the room today.
At the door looking in.
I moved the bed which gives me more room directly in front of the ironing board. The quilt rack is in front of the sewing table and will be moved - somewhere. There is another quilt rack that you can't see in the hall. There is too much stuff in this house.

The bed has become the dumping spot. There is a tower of empty boxes/containers that I may or may not use, but don't want to get rid of yet. There is also a stack of paperwork buried under there along with some piles of other things I don't quite know what to do with.

Looking from the corner where the stacked tubs are.
That's a closet over there that needs cleaned out. There are clothes in there that have not been worn in years. I like having that design wall that has turned into more of an inspiration board.

Standing at the window looking toward the door.
I did recently clear off the wardrobe, but now I need to figure out what to do with the stuff I removed from it. My mom gave me that cute rooster cookie jar on top of the wardrobe. I collect roosters and she thought I would like it. I do like it, but I have no room for it anywhere. Hmmm - what to do, what to do?

I am pretty sure that if I were a youngster I would be diagnosed with ADD (notice I left out the H=hyperactive part). I start sorting and come across something and off I go on a different track.
For example, last year my Son and GF mentioned they need a Christmas tree skirt. I found a lovely layer cake and coordinating fabrics on sale last winter with the intention to make them one.
I spent hours on-line, searching Pinterest for ideas. I had an idea to make it more personalized for them, which would involve a lot of work. Then there have been a few tumultuous moments between them and I decided I didn't want to put a lot of work into it in case they split up. While GF would like one I am pretty sure Son doesn't care one whit if he has a tree skirt or not. So I thought I would still make one, but not as complicated/time consuming. Besides, once gifts start being put under the tree it won't be seen anyway. I had made some notes about patterns I found in some quilt magazines. When I came across this bundle of fabric yesterday I spent more time looking at the magazines and on Pinterest, again, looking for an idea. I found a pattern I liked, but it was in a blog post so I spent about an hour copying and condensing it into a Word document. It was still 7 pages with pictures and I decided I didn't want to print it right now. I am thinking of making a pattern I found in another magazine that is a small quilt. I can turn it into a tree skirt by leaving an opening and cutting a circle in the middle. Hmmm - what to do, what to do?

Then I found the pattern I had purchased for Turtle Travels. This is just one place where it can be found. It is partly paper pieced.
It makes a smallish quilt which would be good for a child, but I want to make it bigger. So I stopped sorting and figured out how I would make it bigger and started pulling fabric. Then I wondered - should I keep this all together now? What if I want to use some of this fabric for another project? The light fabric would be for the background so more of it is needed, but the turtles don't need a lot of fabric for each one. Should I go ahead and cut the pieces needed? Would that make it easier to start working on if the pieces were cut? Probably. But, I am suppose to be sorting and reorganizing and decluttering! What am I doing playing with fabric? Hmmm - what to do, what to do?

THEN, in my email, was this. (I think it is a BOM, but I can't remember the website it was on.)
Another idea for the Exchange quilt.I like the sashing and cornerstones.
Wednesday I went on a quilt shop trip with my quilting friends and bought two shades of gray that I think would work for this. Hmmm - what to do, what to do?

I have also been coming across clothing that needs some attention - pants shortened, seams resewn, buttons reattached, holes patched. I can see by the size of my pile that I really don't enjoy doing that type of sewing. I need to take a day and just get it done.

I have lots of projects that just need a little bit done to get then finished - borders added, a row sewn on, quilted. I wonder why I didn't finish them. I guess I got bored or tired of working on them and set them aside. Or some other project came along luring me away from what I was doing. Darn ADD.

See why I am not getting much work done?! But I sure am having fun being distracted!

1 comment:

A Left-Handed Quilter said...

Too much stuff in my house, too! I'm having the same trouble - I don't know what to do with it all - let me know if/when you figure it out - LOL - ;))