Monday, September 9, 2019

Monday Making

To see what other quilters are up to go to
Small Quilts and Doll Quilts.

Making my head hurt is my Medallion Exchange. My thoughts go from scrapping the whole thing to making a nice big quilt. The blocks vary in size from just under 12 inches to just under 13 inches. Some are not pieced well. 
This Medallion is a from a Round Robin I participated in years ago. It needs to be finished into something. I had always planned to use it to make a bigger quilt.

I have added frames to all the blocks and trimmed them to 14 inches. 
I am still trying to decide what to do. I have a few ideas. I like the sashing made from squares. I like the Flying Geese borders. I like the half blocks used in setting triangles. I feel like I should add some applique to tie in with the medallion. Hmmm. I will give it some more thought. 

I am making a mess. I have been working on my sewing/guest room for a while now. It still is not the way I want it. I don't know if I will ever get to that point. I have to move things around to open doors on cabinets, get to other things or find things. I  have decided that a lot of it just needs to come out for now and get reorganized. In order to do that I need to get rid of some things in the upstairs room so I can reorganize it and make room for things from the sewing room. I get discouraged by it all and then I go sew. 

Making me sad are the signs that fall is here, or very near. 
The days are shorter, it's cooler in the mornings, it's gray and cloudy, plants are going to seed and dying. Winter will be here before we know it. That makes me very sad.

While it feels like fall, harvest will not be happening for a while. Husband looked at his records from last year and saw that he hauled his first load - beans - to the elevator on September 5th. Notice how green the beans are today. 
The corn isn't near ready either.
Making me shake my head is the bull. Husband brought him back from visiting the girls. He is in a pen with a big round hay feeder.
The first day back here he lifted the feeder somehow and got inside. He couldn't get out so Husband lifted the feeder to let him out. 
I'm sure he was just playing, like a giant puppy, as he did it again, not once, not twice, but three times. One time spending the entire night in it. He also liked to push it around. Yesterday after we came home from our Sunday shopping Husband noticed the feeder against the fence. The electric fence. Husband suspects Bull may have gotten a shock when he pushed the feeder against the fence because he hasn't gone near the feeder since.

Making my heart happy is this beautiful Kalanchoe plant. 
 
We got it two weeks ago and it still looks beautiful. I have kept it inside since the leaves tend to burn easily in the sun. It will need to be inside for the winter anyway.

Also making my heart happy are these beautiful Echinacea Cheyenne Spirit. LOVE the colors. And, the butterflies like them too.

3 comments:

Kat Scribner said...

Your medallion is beautiful, it deserves being finished.

Rebecca Grace said...

Yes, that medallion needs to be finished one way or another because it's stunning! And now I want a bull, too -- nevermind that I live in a suburban neighborhood with a Homeowner's Association that wouldn't allow so much as a chicken, let alone cattle -- that is too cute that your bull is playing puppy games with his feeder! I'm glad when the fall weather comes because it means it's time for baking and pot roasts and sweaters and fuzzy sweatpants. It's 94 degrees in Charlotte, NC today so I still have a ways to go before I see any of that cold weather, though. To everything there is a season, right? Trust me, as someone who lives in a place that really only has two seasons (Interminable Summer and a very watered down Fall/Spring combo), you really don't appreciate summer as much when it's neverending. I miss Minnesota falls, truly dormant winters with actual snow covering the ground, and then a spring that starts with a thaw and those first green blades of crocuses peaking out through patches of remaining snow. Also, it never gets cold enough here to kill all the pesky BUGS!

A Left-Handed Quilter said...

I agree - your medallion is beautiful!! Maybe the other blocks need to be in a quilt of their own and the medallion needs its own borders - repeating the ones it already has - ;))