Wednesday, September 4, 2019

Circle of Life and Recipes

I finished all the checkerboard units and got 
them attached to the center star yesterday.
I love this quilt!

I had mentioned that I wanted to start trying some of the recipes I have been collecting. 

I made this Breakfast in a Crock-Pot recipe last week.
My son is legally blind and we used to have a subscription to The Braille Monitor published by The National Federation of the Blind. We no longer get it, but I saved this recipe from one of the issues. I thought how nice it would be to have breakfast ready to eat in the morning. I never made this when my son was home because he doesn't really like breakfast food. Husband and I do like breakfast but this recipe is way too much for just the two of us. I thought that half the recipe might cook faster than the whole recipe so I made it during the day to keep an eye on it and we had it for supper. It was ok. If I make it again I will add more cheese. And, it didn't need the full cooking time so it will be a supper meal for us. There were leftovers for another day. We both are fine with eating leftovers. I really like not having to think about cooking meals every day. 

The other recipe I tried we really liked and I will make again. This recipe is Amish Country Poor Man's Hamburger Steaks found at 12 Tomatoes. I halved the main recipe, but made the full recipe for the gravy. We like gravy! I got 5 patties, but next time I will make 6 smaller ones so we have an equal amount. The first night I served it with potatoes, the next time with egg noodles. I think it would be good with rice also, but Husband is not a fan of rice, although he would eat it if I served it that way.

I have a couple more recipes to try this week. We'll see how that goes. You just never know how new recipes will turn out. Years ago I tried three new recipes in one week and they were all BAD. Husband joked that he thought I was trying to kill him. Ha.

1 comment:

A Left-Handed Quilter said...

I LOVE that quilt, too!! It's coming along beautifully!! And those recipes look good - I printed out both of them - thanks for sharing - ;))