Saturday, September 7, 2019

Planning

I have been wanting to work on my latest Exchange quilt. I have participated in four exchanges now and have not completed any of them. I brought mine home after the last meeting since all my blocks are completed because someone worked ahead. We have one more exchange, the end of this month, then everyone will have all their blocks.
I have been sort of challenged to get mine together before the next and last meeting for this exchange. 

I needed to make one more block.

I made Millstone. I found it at Patchwork Square.

So....

I laid it out as a straight set.



I couldn't get it all the blocks in without cutting some off so I took a picture of each half. My thoughts are to put a black border around the center medallion and black sashing between the blocks with a small final border of black and black binding. Another idea is to add an outside border all around with some applique similar to the appliqued vine border around the medallion. I feel like it needs some more applique. If I do that I will make the side applique borders the size of the border around the medallion and double the size for the top and bottom so the quilt becomes rectangular instead of square.

Then I put it on point. This was taken before I made the extra block.
I was browsing the internet looking for ideas when I saw these. 
 kit from Craft Town Fabrics

https://shop.mybluprint.com/quilting/article/medallion-quilt-pattern
http://suegarman.blogspot.com/2012_04_01_archive.html


http://civilwarquilts.blogspot.com/2013_04_01_archive.html


There is quite a difference, up to 1/2 inch, in the block sizes so whatever I do I am going to have to figure out something to make the blocks all the same size. Did I mention that some of us had trouble getting our blocks together? I am wondering just how accurate the cutting/piecing instructions were for this projects.


I have gathered my graph paper, colored pencils, tape measure and all my blocks. Time to start drawing and planning. 

1 comment:

A Left-Handed Quilter said...

"On point" gets my vote! It may be more work - but it's usually worth it - ;))