Friday, December 6, 2019

Busy Morning

taking care of some mending and getting things put away and organized.

First up my son has two flags that are starting to fray on the corners. I don't know if this suppose to be done, but I do know a few other people who have mended their flags.


He has one with a red stripe to honor his friends who are volunteer fire fighters and one with a blue stripe to honor police officers. His uncle, my brother, was a police officer.


I then put away some fabric left from some other projects.

Funny how easy it is to just let things pile up.

Next, I went through some magazines to find a pattern for this layer cake.
I'm not usually interested in Christmas fabrics, but these are beautiful! I bought it last year with the intention of making a tree skirt for Son and GF. Then I decided they would like something less 'fancy'. So it will be a quilt. 

Then I filed the magazines and put them back in their designated spot.

Next, I gathered some fabrics for a new project. 

I saw this on a blog post at quiltsandcostumes.blogspot.com.
 

There are directions given for one block. I had some of the black/white fabrics and the jelly rolls. Even though I love batiks I think the more vibrant colors in the jellyroll on the left will work better. 
*Sorry for the side-ways photos. I got creative! I looked up the blog post on my phone and took photos of my phone with my tablet. Maybe I'll get this all figured out by the time the computer is repaired. Still haven't heard anything and it is well into evening as I write this. 

Finally, I took a good look at this project.
I tried to get all the elements in the photo so you can see what patterns I am using and look for them if you are interested. They're free. I enlarged the image for the sewing machine and pulled fabric.
Starting at the bottom - the black/gold is too glitzy, the paisley not subtle enough, the next two read too blueish.

This group is more the tone-on-tone look I am wanting. Any of them would work, but I am going with the one on the bottom.
It is more true to color in this photo than the previous one. 

I need 18 spool blocks. I have 11 made. I need four button blocks. None of them are made. I will chose a border fabric after I get it put together. Surely there will be something in my stash that will work. I will probably bind with the black I am using for the sewing machine, or solid black if there isn't enough of that. 

These projects are now organized, with notes made so I will know what needs to be done whenever I decide to pick them up again.

The plan for tomorrow is 
1) trim the butterfly top, cut the border and get it sewn on.
2) make some  Christmas cards

I will use this pattern for a mug rug from FatCat Patterns slightly reduced to fit the cards I have.

3) layout the Diamond Head quilt
And hopefully get some rows sewn together.

No comments: