Monday, May 11, 2020

Finished

To see what other quilters are up to go to Small Quilts and Doll Quilts.

I put the last stitch in Circle of Life yesterday afternoon. I used a purple wide backing and a light gray thread for the quilting.



I'm feeling restless and unfocused again today. I'm sure the weather doesn't help. It is cool (42 degrees at 8 am), windy, cloudy, dreary...again. There is a frost warning predicted again for this week. I haven't planted anything in the garden except radishes. I ordered 3 flowering plants through mail order again this year. It seems that every year they arrive when the weather is still cold and nasty and I can't plant them. They are small and I don't want to plant them out when it is so cold and windy here, knowing they won't survive. I put them in my garage where they are protected from the cold and get at least a little sun through the windows each day and set them outside a for a while on the nice days. One has died, another doesn't look good. Every year I am lucky if any survive. I guess I should quit wasting my money and buy bigger plants from garden centers locally, but they don't usually have the ones I want.

Husband is working in the field and will likely be out of the house most of today. This would be a good time to work on my sewing room. I had set a goal of doing that when he was able to be in the field knowing he would be out of the house all day and I would be able to move items out of that room into the rest of the house and not be in his way.
While I am able to cut and iron in there, it is a mess. I have to move some things to get to other things. I find that frustrating. I need to work on paperwork that gets piled on the bed. I need to go through scraps and organize them. I need to permanently move some things out. I need to clean out and organize the closet which I can't get to without moving things out of the room. The closet has two hanging rods, one behind the other. I have been storing clothes in there for years, clothes I no longer want. My son has things stored in there. It all needs to come out so I can see what is in there and decide what to get rid of. Problem is I don't think there is anywhere to go with most of it since all the places to donate are closed. We have donation boxes around our area that I sometimes drop off to, but they are taped off. So box/bag what I don't want and put it...where? Or haul it to the dumpster. Hmm. Or just leave it for now until things open up again? My mom is having the same problem. She was just getting started on going through her things, but now has nowhere to go with it. And, I was going to help her, but I'm not able to be with them right now. D*&% virus.
Maybe I'll just go sew instead.

Stay safe and well.

4 comments:

Quilter Kathy said...

It's fabulous! So much work! Congrats on the finish!

Sara said...

Circle of Life is spectacular! Congrats on finishing it.

Bonnie said...

Circle of Life is spectacular. You should be so proud of this finish. Being a keeper of stuff I feel your pain. But, first, congratulate yourself for knowing what you want to get done. That, to me, is a major accomplishment. So, how about not looking at it as a huge, overwhelming task? Think about what you could get done if you only spend 15 minutes working on something. I looking at my cutting table that is big enough for 3 large cutting mats on it. One area has a die cutter so I really only have two large areas. But one is so over run with stuff -- fabric, papers, little boxes holding more stuff... you get the picture. The other space is my active cutting area. But it is rimmed on two sides with more stuff. (see above for what type - but mostly fabric.) I have been making progress on it but no one but me would know. I've put lots of fabric back where it belongs. But I really only spend a few minutes a day. If I want to I spend more I do. But I also still sew because that's what I really like to do. Hopefully, you can look at your list and say, if I do XXXX, I can make a little dent. I think some organizers call this the salami method. Cut the big task up into smaller doable tasks. I hope you can see some smaller, easier things that you can do in a short time and feel you have started to make progress. And, honestly, don't beat yourself up too much right now. You've just finished a wonderful quilt that I'm sure didn't get made in a weekend. Organizing a bit should be a lot easier than making that beautiful quilt! Let me know if you need a cheerleader! BTW - skip dealing with that closet -- too hard to move the stuff out of the house. It can wait. (Unless you need to space to store other things....)

A Left-Handed Quilter said...

I agree with everyone else - Circle of Life is spectacular!! Congratulations!! I like Barbara's "salami method" - I need to do that with my stuff, too! I keep saying I have to get organized and ditch some stuff - but I'd rather SEW - LOL - ;))