Wednesday, April 29, 2020

Her We Go Again

I got a call from Son yesterday. They are good, but he had a request for more masks. A friend works at a nursing home. Their dress code is black, gray or royal blue. Could I make him three masks, one each of each color? Sure. GF works with developmentally disabled adults. All staff are required to wear masks all the time now. I had sent her 25, but they need more. They also have sore ears. She had tried using a large paper clip but it ended up getting seriously tangled in her hair. Could I make something that would be better? Sure.
They have been offered the opportunity to work two week shifts - 14 days, 24/7, masks on unless they are sleeping. Two weeks on, two weeks off. They can chose to do so or not. So far enough people have chosen to that GF hasn't had to do this. She is a house manager and is working her regular hours so far. But if a shift cannot be filled she will have to do this. Son is not happy about it, but understands.

So I got busy cutting....
...and sewing...
and crocheting and attaching buttons. 
I am making different lengths because all heads are not the same size! 
I am using cotton yarn leftover from making dish clothes. It doesn't take much to make one. And I have plenty of buttons. 
I am sorting through my stash looking for buttons with shanks or two holes as I thought those would work the best.

I tried one of the extender/ear savers 
out to see if how it worked.
I tried it with my hair up and down. It worked both ways and seemed to get the elastic off the ears. I hope it provides some relief to the people wearing them.

Since all of this makes me feel a little depressed and sad and angry and 
frustrated, all kinds of emotions, I 
watched Bob Ross paint on PBS. I find 
his voice and attitude calming.

Stay safe and well.

1 comment:

A Left-Handed Quilter said...

I like your extenders - VERY clever! I had read that elastic made your ears sore - but that's about the only kind I see being made these days. And I agree - depressed - sad - angry - frustrated - lots of emotions - especially when making masks - ;))