Friday, April 10, 2020

Mask

production is on hold because I have used all the elastic.
There is more being sent - some from niece's hospital and some I ordered. But, until it arrives I can't do any more. I had a pile of cut fabric waiting to be sewn by the sewing machine along with a pile of finished masks. The quilting frame had piles too - finished masks, mailing envelopes, mask info. I wanted to work on something else but didn't want to move any of it. Last time I did that I only got to sew for a day before I went back to making masks.
I now know it will be next week before I get elastic which leaves a few days to sew, so I reorganized and moved the mask production piles to the frame. It is organized and will be easy to start it up again. I know the healthcare facilities I am making masks for have a procedure they follow before handing out the masks, but I wanted family and friends to be informed. I have printed an info sheet explaining that while these fabric masks provide some protection they are not 100% effective against COVID-19. It also explains washing instructions and to NOT microwave the masks. That is a fire hazard. Seriously, people are starting fires in their kitchens when the mask catches fire.

So what am I working on? Circle of Life.
I have all but one of the NYB/Small Star Units sewn together. They are fiddly, but I am getting it done. The fabrics are beautiful and I am glad to be making something that I enjoy and will be happy to see adorning a wall or bed.

We have had some weird weather the last two days. Wednesday was windy with storm warnings, but at the end of the day there was a pretty sunset.
Yesterday we had wind, rain, snow, sun, rain, snow, wind. Today is sunny, but still cold. I'll take the sun, thank you.

The latest recipe I tried is 
I thought they were ok. Husband likes them and thinks they will be good with a bowl of ice cream. The recipes says to bake them in a mini muffin tin. I could only find one of my mini tins and didn't want to wait for that one to bake so I made four regular size muffins. They took a little longer, but came out well. We are eating them with breakfast. They heat up well for a few seconds in the microwave. 

And since today is National Siblings Day here are me and my siblings.


This is the last photo of the three of us together before my younger brother died. In the top photo he is on the right. In the middle photo he is on the left. In the bottom photo he is on the right. You can see what a happy guy he was - always smiling. I think that is what I remember most about him. He was almost always happy, positive, smiling. 
I miss him. 

No comments: