Monday, April 20, 2020

This is why

I have UFOs.

Before I get started you can see what other quilters are up to at 

I have been working on Jack in the Box using scraps. I started in 2015 and had decided to make eight blocks
each of eight colors.
I had cut most of the fabrics for each color- blue, turquoise/aqua, pink, red, purple, green, yellow, orange.
 

I have pieced the blocks for blue, pink, turquoise/aqua, red and purple.

I started piecing the green blocks this weekend. 
I don't know what happened when I was cutting. Maybe I thought I would combine bright greens with dark greens, or maybe I didn't have enough scraps of those colors. 

And then I discovered that there isn't enough variety which means that some of the same fabrics would end up in one block. I really didn't want to do that. And there is a green block that is not bright green but not quite dark green either. It doesn't look so bad in the photo, but in real life it doesn't go. 
 
Then I decided I don't like some of the bright green prints I chose. 
I decided I would need to cut more fabrics to get the look I want. 
At that point I decided to switch over to piecing yellows. They are all cut which is good. 
Then I ran out of the white squares. 
And, I still need to cut orange fabrics. 
At this point I was frustrated. I did cut some more white squares, but then I packed it all up and put it away.

I looked around my mess of a sewing room, put a few things away and got a little better organized, then I saw my project box. Mid-March I had started packing up my project box for the next Sew Day that would be coming up in a couple of days. Only it didn't happen because the schools had been closed - we meet in the conference room of a community library at a school. Then it was being suggested that people stay at home, and then came the stay at home order. No Sew Days. I miss my group. 

In that project box was this kit - Designer Star from Anthology Fabrics
It is a free pattern on their site. I got it as a kit from Keepsake Quilting, but I can't find it on their site.
 I decided to start on it. I got the black pieces cut for the center Lone Star. 
I think I will work away at getting this project cut today. It may take a day or two. 

My plan was to show this in our county fair which is held mid-July. As of today the fair has not been cancelled. But, depending on how things are going by then I may or may not risk going to the fair this year. I am an assistant in the Fine Arts building which means I help get the building cleaned and set up for the displays and I get to help judging day. I help with accepting the exhibits, getting the items in front of the judges, putting items in the display cases, and getting them back out and to their owners at the end of the fair. 

Anyway, being an assistant also means that I come into contact with many people, people I don't know. So we will see how things are going at that point. Hopefully, it will all be much better and we will be starting to get back to normal.

Be safe, stay healthy.

2 comments:

AnnieO said...

Hope you get back to the greens and find what works.
I want to make a lone star quilt someday too.
UFOs never seem to diminish around here!

A Left-Handed Quilter said...

Love your projects!! - ;))