Monday, November 4, 2019

Design Wall Monday

To see what other quilters are up to go to Small Quilts and Doll Quilts.

I don't have a quilt to show, but I am using orphan blocks/scraps leftover from quilting to make some cards.
You've seen these pinned up on the design walls. I am hoping this will be a good use for them.
I used Steam a Seam 2 to adhere them to the cards. For the bee, hummingbird and the fan in the upper right corner I sewed a square of fabric to them and turned them right side out so the edges would be finished. I also stitched the one in the upper right corner to the card with black thread. It's a little wonky but, oh well. I cut most of the fabric away from the back on the bee and hummingbird. That worked ok for the bee, but I don't like the look of the hummingbird. I think it needs a piece of batting behind it. I am going to try to remove it from the card and add batting. I did not stamp sentiments on these as I don't have a plan for any of them yet.

This card was made for a friend who has a birthday coming up. Her favorite color is purple.
All the white and most of the purple triangles are from her! All the ladies share their scraps with me at retreat and she gave me these. Bet she didn't think she would get them back! I applied a small binding and put batting behind it. I like the look of it, but worry that will make it heavy enough to increase the postage which is why I didn't put batting behind the hummingbird. 
I am having fun playing with these leftovers and plan to experiment some more.

1 comment:

A Left-Handed Quilter said...

You are SO clever! That's a great way to use orphan blocks - and the HST going back to the lady who gave them to you had me laughing out loud - LOL - ;))