Wednesday, June 26, 2019

Experimenting

with regrowing ...

... celery.

I had read that this was possible. We don't eat a lot of celery but I thought it would be a fun thing to try.
About a week ago I cut the end of the stalk off and put it in a small dish on a folded up paper towel and added about 1/2 an inch of water. It's growing!

I will plant it outside in the garden bed as soon as it stops raining.

When my brother passed away my sister had a lot of plants from the funeral. She sent two home with me. The Peace Lily died within the first year. I was sad I wasn't able to keep it alive. The Umbrella plant is big and spends most of the time on my bay window ledge that faces south. I put it outside on the porch last summer and it did ok. It then spent the winter on the bay window ledge and I put it back outside when it warmed up. The porch faces west. Even though it has an overhang the afternoon sun can be brutal if the weather is already hot. This year hasn't been that hot but we have had WIND. 
The sun and wind have not been kind to this plant. So I brought it back inside and did some research about how to rejuvenate it. What I found said to cut the stems just above a leaf node and new growth would happen. I was concerned about cutting all three stems so I only cut one. I figured if the experiment didn't work it would only affect one stem. 

But, look! There is growth! 

So nothing ventured, nothing gained. I might try this with another stem to see if the result is as good.

And, the geraniums?
I left them inside and they are both doing well and blooming.

No comments: