Saturday, June 22, 2019

Best Laid Plans

I really am struggling with sticking to plans. My 'plan' for the summer had been this - after breakfast when Husband goes to do chores I would walk to the corner and back (1 mile) increasing that as I built up my endurance, then work in the yard for a few hours, shower, lunch, sew/quilt for the afternoon.

Ha
Ha ha ha ha ha!!

So far I have done NO walking, but I have worked in the yard and I figure that is at least some exercise. I have been filling my cart full of weeds and walking to the other side of the farm to the burn pile, fill empty cart from the mulch pile, spread mulch, weed some more and repeat one more time. After I have taken the second cart full of weeds to the burn pile I usually stop at the tool shed and have a cold drink and chat with Husband if he is taking a break.

Then I come to the house intending to take a shower, but decide to check email first. Before I know it Husband is coming in for lunch. Then we sit and chat, watch the news or whatever on TV, and sometimes take a little nap in our chairs. Then I get interested in something on PBS. Then it is time to start thinking about supper. And, I feel like if Husband is in the house I should be spending time with him. I hope I can figure out a good schedule and stick to it or I won't get much of anything done.

I really do have good intentions. I did get the Trip Around the World quilt loaded on the machine.
This quilt has an inner border all the way around, a middle border on the top and bottom to add length, and an outside border all the way around. 
She has chosen the cable for the inner border, the leaf design for the top and bottom border and the floral looking design for the outer border.

The cable design it similar to what she had planned to do before she decided that she just wouldn't get the quilt finished as soon as she would like. It has rounded corners. 
I have not used this board yet. I knew it wasn't going to fit perfectly in the space so there has been some measuring and thinking and figuring out what to do. I have decided to place one floral looking motif in the center of the cable border on each side because the design does not fit perfectly in any of the borders and I haven't figured out how to 'fudge it' like I would be able to if hand quilting.

So that was my plan for today...to start the quilting. Then, Husband had to go pick up a tractor that had been repaired. I had to drive him there and follow him home. You know, just in case the tractor decided to break down on the way home. This has happened! And, he doesn't carry a cell phone. So I listened to an audio book which was nice and made the drive go quicker.

After lunch he went out to do some work and I decided to get busy on the quilt. Then my son started texting me. I don't know how he does it but he tends to text or call when I am in the middle of something - cleaning, eating, quilting. I do enjoy hearing from him though, so I stop what I am doing to give him my full attention.

Also, when I am sitting with Husband I am usually doing something, like knitting or handwork of some kind. 

I am trying to use up the cotton yarn skeins and leftovers I have. I have a small stash accumulated from when my mom wanted 50 every year for Christmas gifts for her staff and friends. She has quite a few now and told me recently that she probably has enough to last her for several years. I like to give them as gifts too, but have some already made up. So I knitted a dish towel...
...and some cloths for the steam mop.















Since I no one but me sees them and they are for cleaning purposes I don't care that the yarns don't match perfectly. I used Scrubby yarns for the steam mop cloths.

So I guess I haven't been totally unproductive, but I need want to figure out a schedule.

1 comment:

A Left-Handed Quilter said...

You sound VERY productive to me!! I wouldn't worry about trying to make or keep a schedule for a few weeks or even months - you just "retired" - give yourself some "vacation" time and things will settle into a routine soon enough. In the meantime - do whatever makes you happy - ;))