Wednesday, July 18, 2018

Fair Week

Fair actually started yesterday with some 4-H judging.
Open class entries can be delivered this evening and tomorrow morning until 9:00 am. 


12 of my 14 projects are packed and loaded in the car. I will be helping with accepting entries this evening. I will take my other two projects tomorrow morning. I am helping with that too. I will also be helping with judging - my favorite part! I love getting to see all the quilts unfolded and hearing the judges comments. After judging we all grab lunch and then get everything into the display cases. All the quilts except small wall hangings and the Champions get folded up so you only see a small portion of them. I find this so sad. I think of all the work the makers put into their quilts and only a little bit is visible. Exhibitors are encouraged to attach a photo that shows the entire quilt and I do that.


My son and his dog are here for the fair. Pokie was named by the the people at the rescue shelter because they found him to be poking his nose into everything. He alternates between Husband's chair...



...my chair...


 ...and the rocker.



While my son and I are at the fairgrounds this evening and all day tomorrow we need to figure out what to do with Pokie. 

You can see in the top photo the tie-out cable that my son uses with his dog. That isn't an option since Pokie's harness broke and he slips out of his collar when tied-out with this cable so that isn't an option.


His outdoor kennel is set up and he spent some time in it yesterday while my son was painting his fair project. It was much cooler yesterday with a nice breeze. But, when my son came in for a few minutes waiting for the paint to dry Pokie somehow got out of his kennel. Thankfully, he came to the door and didn't run off. I don't think that is a safe option.



It is most likely that he will go into his crate while we are gone. It is a good size for him, but takes up a lot of room in my kitchen. I have to move it in front of the refrigerator to open the dishwasher. I have to move it in front of the dishwasher to open the fridge. There needs to be enough room for Pokie to reach is food and water bowls. 

He is a sweet dog, but he takes up a lot of space in my house! And, when my son isn't within sight he misses him. He whines, cries, howls! I don't know how it is going to go while we are gone. Maybe Husband will let him out of the crate. Or he may opt to stay outside, out of earshot, the whole time.