Monday, July 27, 2020

Yay and Sigh

First - to see what other quilters are up to go to Small Quilts and Doll Quilts.

The Yay  - the Quilter's Exchange group that I belong to was able to meet on Saturday. We usually meet in a smaller meeting room which isn't big enough for the number of people in our group.The library allowed us to use a larger area of the library where we were able to socially distance ourselves. We were required to wear masks which no one protested. It was interesting to see the different styles and fabrics we all chose for our masks. Some brought Show & Tell which, of course, is always fun! I did not take photos.

I got all the blocks pieced for Sticks and Stones.
 
The strips and squares are 1-1/2 inch.
I need to trim them, cut the sashing and cornerstones and get it sewn into a top. I thought this would be a good use for all the scraps I have. The scraps - they seem to increase daily.

Then I will start sewing together the blocks for Diamond Head
I liked the fabrics - a 5 yard bundle, plus yardage, but I'm not sure this was the best pattern to use. I think part of the problem is not enough variation in the fabrics. The same fabrics appear more than once in each block and in blocks next to each other. Oh, well.

I'm not sure how I feel about either one of these quilts, but I plan to donate them so I hope someone likes them.

Another Yay - This lovely is blooming again.

The Sigh - I am making masks, again.
Two of the places I have sent masks previously feel then need more child sized masks since school will be starting soon. I find making masks depressing. I wasn't going to make anymore, but really feel that I should. I have the resources and the time. This is why my scraps keep increasing. There is always a bit of fabric left after cutting the masks. 

Another Yay - my friend in the hospital - his daughter informed us that the doctors/nurses feel he is improving. He is too weak to go home and will need to go to a rehab facility until he regains his strength. Small victories. 

Stay safe and well.

2 comments:

A Left-Handed Quilter said...

YAY for YAYS - baby steps - ;))

thatfabricfeeling.wordpress.com said...

I also find making masks very depressing. I wear one at work all day. I am an art therapist at an Assisted Living Facility and we constantly have to remind residents to wear their masks properly. "It's not a chin warmer" can be heard by us throughout the day! I love to sew but making masks after working all day just feels like a downer. I respect those who have and continue to grind away making masks. I just can't do it!