Monday, July 20, 2020

I takes me all day...

to write a post.

I started this post early this morning. I was going to write about the Butterfly baby quilt and my yard and garden. I had taken some photos over the weekend and a few more this morning. But then I kept thinking of 'one more thing' I wanted to take a photo of or I kept getting interrupted.

The baby quilt is finished. I wrote about that first - see previous post.

When I went out to check the garden I came in with some mini cukes and cherry tomatoes.
Husband had a medical appointment this morning involving fasting blood work. When the weather is nice I like to walk out with him to enjoy the yard. I could really smell the corn this morning. It is tasseling.


We also looked at the apple tree. It has one apple on it. Can you see it?
How about now?
Now can you see it?
It is about the size of a walnut. That late freeze we had this spring really did a number on this tree.

When Husband came back from his appointment he brought in two zucchini that he found on the plant we planted between the house and the toolshed. 
He had been worried about this plant because the blossoms keep falling off. He didn't think we would get any at all! That one is a whopper. Husband is expecting zucchini bread now.

We ate breakfast then he made a phone call to the mechanic. The vehicle he drives the most has a leak from a hose connected to the radiator. They said bring it in and they would look at it. He needed me to follow him over so I could bring him home. But he needed to do a couple of quick things first. While I was waiting for him I deadheaded the flowers in the pots on the ramp and noticed this -
The first Monarch caterpillar I have seen this year.

Then we noticed these caterpillars. 
There are a lot of them and they are eating a lot of the milkweeds. I had not seen them before and didn't know what they were. I googled and found they are Milkweed Tussock Moth larvae.

After we came back from the mechanic Husband wanted to check the zucchini plant to see if he missed any. Those flowers that are falling off? Not a big deal. We found two more ready to pick and another that will be ready in a day or so. This is my total harvest for today.
I'm sure there will be more zucchini. Looks like I will be freezing shredded zucchini for bread to baked later. The cukes and tomatoes will go in a salad.

We have a large window in our metal front door. 
The door faces west. On the wall opposite the door is the thermostat. We have noticed the A/C running - a lot - in the later afternoon and evening. We are wondering if covering the window, at least later in the day, would help keep the A/C from running as much. I have a panel that I pieced years ago thinking I would make Roman shades for the south and west facing windows in our TV room. I never finished them because there is a lot involved in making Roman shades - wood, eye hooks, dowels, small plastic rings, measuring, lots of measuring, etc. I know I am capable of making them, but life got busy and I had more important things to do. Then I decided that maybe I would sew those panels into a quilt. I really like the pattern and the fabrics are batiks. Haven't gotten around to that yet but I think it would be a lovely quilt. Anyway, I am using the panel that was almost finished as a temporary covering to see if that helps at all. It is held up there with magnets for now.
The problem is we both like to look out that window so the covering needs to be able to be raised/lowered or moved to the side (like it is in the first photo of the door above). I have found magnetic blinds, shades and curtain rods on-line. I also found ones that use adhesive backed velcro to attach to the door. I found mixed reviews for both styles - some love them, some say the magnets aren't strong enough or the velcro doesn't stay adhered to the door. Not sure what I will do yet. Anyone have any experience with this? Any suggestions?

In other news, our friend who is in the hospital called Husband yesterday. He is very weak, no appetite, still getting oxygen through a mask (no ventilator), noise and light bother him. He is keeping the TV mostly off, the curtains closed and the lights off to keep his room quiet and dark. He visited a few minutes then said he was worn out and had to go. Before he hung up he said this virus is no joke. It is very serious.

Stay safe and well.

1 comment:

A Left-Handed Quilter said...

I finally saw the apple! Your veggies look tasty - and the moth is interesting - but not as pretty as a monarch - LOL - ;))