Tuesday, February 19, 2019

What A Day!

Yesterday was a good day.



I got my car loaded Sunday afternoon and headed out for the 2 hour drive to my son's house Monday morning. Got it all unloaded, went for lunch, bought curtains, got a remote control curtain rod hung over the picture window that faces south, changed some light bulbs, cuddled the dog, and had a good visit. 

We have a winter weather advisory for later tonight through noon tomorrow. We had yesterday off for President's Day, and there was a super snow moon last night. All those factors affect children's behavior.


I expected it to be a little crazy today, and it was, but then there was an unexpected event around noon.

The music teacher is in our building on Tuesday and Thursday afternoons. When she arrived today her car unexpectedly, and with great force, revved out of control as she was pulling into her parking spot. The car jumped the sidewalk and struck a 100 foot steel tower at the corner of the building. She said braking did not help. Turning the vehicle off was the only thing that stopped the revving. She was not hurt. Her car has suffered some damage, as did the tower. The tower did not fall, but is not stable. If she had arrived 10 minutes later we would have had student outside at recess. If she had parked one or two spots over her car probably would have ended up on the play area. One or two spots the other way it would have gone into the kitchen/cafeteria. School for our building has been cancelled for tomorrow so the tower can be safely taken down and cut up into smaller pieces to be hauled away. First I was told not to report to work, then I was told to report to a different building and they would 'find something for me to do', then I was told I could choose to report or not. I think I will stay home. Busing tomorrow will be a headache. A message went out to parents that their students will be picked up and dropped off at a different location, not the school. But, some parents will not get the message, or find it confusing and go to the school anyway. I am wondering if it would be better for the winter weather we are expecting to be enough to cancel school for the entire district.

When I arrived home, my husband met me in the driveway. The neighbor and his hired man were hauling some small calves in a small trailer using a 4-wheeler, or something similar. It overturned into the dredge ditch by our house with them under it. They both lost their cell phones in the water but were able to get out of the ditch. I imagine they both might need some medical attention. They walked, soaking wet, the half mile or so to our house to get help from my husband. He called the neighbor's wife at her work place and is out now helping do whatever he can to round up those calves. They have run into a field which is snowy and muddy. It is almost 6:00 pm and almost dark. I hope this all turns out ok.

I am ready for this day to be over.

No comments: