Saturday, April 7, 2018

Saturday Already?

I can't believe it is Saturday already! Where did this week go?
 
As expected, the new policy did get smoother every day. It is working really well.
We only had one parent, that I know if, who was upset. She voiced it verbally and 
inappropriately in front of children. It is sad to me that some people feel the need to be 
so hurtful.As I tell the students - it is ok to feel mad, but it is not ok to hurt people. 

We had to be inside for recess two days this week because of weather. We probably would have had to be in yesterday, but it was field trip day! We Gallivanted Around Town. First stop was a one-room school house that was moved from the country to the edge of town several years ago. We learned how students of all ages were taught in one room, by one teacher, that the teacher had rules to follow and certain chores to do that were part of her job, that the school was heated with a wood stove, that the students used and shared little slate blackboards and chalk and other fun facts.

Next, we visited the local electric company and learned how to be safe around downed power lines. The linemen demonstrated how they set poles in the ground, how they climb them and how the bucket goes up and down. They had some of their equipment - trencher, 4-wheeler, and I don't know the other two things - set out in the shop so the students could get on them.

Then we went to McDonald's for lunch and a small tour of the kitchen and cooler. 
Of course, that was the favorite place of most of the students.

Next up, was the local food pantry where they got to bag up some items that had been 
donated  in bulk - put 10 granola bars into a zip bag, and tour the area where food is stored. 
They learned out the food pantry helps families who don't have enough to eat. 

Last was the library. The students were split into 3 groups to hear some 
Irish folk music, listen to a story, and do a craft. We all had a great day.

Today is cold, but at least the sun is shining.

The drama with my husband's family continues. I just don't understand how family 
members can treat each other they way they do. It makes me so sad, and frustrated.
 
There seems to be a problem with the plumbing work we had done last week. The water pump keeps kicking in and it should not do that unless water is being used in the house or barn which means there could be a leak somewhere. The plumber came back out to look at it and thought the pressure tank just needed more air, but that didn't help. He also looked at the bathroom sink drain and informed us that if we replace the pipe we will have to install a vent pipe through the upstairs room/attic and roof. It will be costly. This was not code when the house was built, but is now. 
If we leave the pipe as is we don't have to add the vent.

Since I had the closet cleaned out for the plumber I have decided to try to 
get rid of some things that we no longer need or use. That is so hard!


I would like to have a work with the person who installed the shelves above 
the hanging rods in all the closets in this house. They put put the shelves too 
close to the rod making it hard to get the hangers on and off the rods.

This picture shows seven coats hanging in the closet. When I finished with the hanging coats there  are 15. Three of them I am hoping my mother will want. They are not ones I will wear anymore.


These two shelves show the coats that I was able to fold up. The bottom shelf shows four, but there are seven there now. They are puffy winter coats in various sizes. On the top shelf there are two puffy vests, a few sweatshirts and a couple of wind breaker type jackets.

It's nice to have these when the Texas relatives visit and don't think to bring warm, farm appropriate clothing. Happens more often than you would think considering that they all used to live in Illinois!

I dislike cleaning and trying to get rid of things is hard. Too many memories or some other excuse, but we just have too much stuff for this house. I used to stress over the amount of fabric and craft items I have, but I am thinking of those things more as retirement funds now. I know a time will come when I won't be able to just buy what I want because I like it. I am stockpiling for that time! But the other stuff - clothes that don't fit (and probably never will again) or are out of style or not comfortable, multiples of kitchen items, things we have 'just in case' - that stuff has to go. It is hard for me, but harder for my husband to let go of stuff. Sometimes I have to sneak it out of the house!

Sometimes I think my husband has a fear of being cold and starving. 
My closets are full and my freezers are filled to the top. I have to remind him 
when we go grocery shopping that there is very little room for frozen items.

After my brother died my sister-in-law wanted me to have some of the plants that 
people sent her. One was an umbrella plant that is doing well. I am sad about this.
The other was a beautiful Peace Lily that is not doing well, at all. It is droopy all the time, 
the leaves turn yellow and brown and fall off. It seems like it needs a lot more water than the 
other plant, but now I think it is water logged. I also figured out that our softened water it 
not good for it. Husband has been bringing me jugs of water from the barn, but it is just not 
looking any better. I was hoping for warmer weather so I could put it outside on the porch to 
dry out and then replant it. I think it may need new soil.






On a happier note, my new little plants are growing and doing well. 
But, they need warmer weather so they can be outside.

 
See what other quilters are up to at Small Quilts and Doll Quilts.
What a Hoot Quilts is challenging quilters to finish '18 in 2018'. Check it out.

No comments: