Monday, April 30, 2018

A Disappointment and a Happy!

 First the disappointment, just to get it out of the way.
My husband bought me a butter churn after I told him about I story I had read to the Kindergarten students a while back. His thought was that I could take it to school and show the kids how to make butter. I discussed it with a teacher and we decide that it would be a fun activity, but needed to wait until after Spring Break. Yesterday I decided I had better try it out myself to see if we would be able to churn butter in the time I had with them. 

I gathered the supplies.


Poured the cream into the jar and began to churn.
 The directions said that after about 20 minutes I should have butter.


I didn't.


After 35 minutes I still did not have butter so I turned to my trusty KitchenAid stand mixer. I had made butter with it many times years ago when we had a Jersey cow. Yum. Jersey milk is so good with lots of cream and makes wonderful ice cream, too.
Within minutes I had butter.


Since it took so long and I didn't even end up with butter from the churn I think this is not a good activity for school. I will try again this summer to see if I can figure out why it didn't work. My thought is the churn just doesn't move fast enough.

My happy is that last weekend was quilt retreat.


I have a rolling machine bag which is great for hauling my machine and a few other things that fit in there. I found this awesome cart for all the other things. It is a garden cart from Aldi!
I worked hard to finish up this...




It was windy and as soon as I walked away the wind flipped up the edges.
I love this quilt. Now to get it quilted.

http://smallquiltsanddollquilts.blogspot.com/2018/04/design-wall-monday-april-30-2018.html
What a Hoot Quilts is challenging quilters to finish '18 in 2018'
Check them out.

5 comments:

chrisknits said...

Oh my, how gorgeous is that top! It will be stunning when done.

Quilter Kathy said...

That's a very complex project to work on a quilt retreat!
I usually am quite distracted and need to take easy projects!

time4stitchn said...

A) Love your quilt: the design is so beautiful and I just love the aqua color.
It really is an amazing accomplishment of a wonderful pattern.

B)Making butter. The way I used to do it with kids in 2nd grade: just put it into a jar on container with lid and just pass it around and have them shake it. Just keep passing it and have them shake it. It does work. But I don't remember the time it took. Certainly less than 30 minutes. It tastes great. Add salt if feel you need to, but it is not necessary.
I did not have a fancy machine like that.
Passing it around makes it easier on your arm as well.

A Left-Handed Quilter said...

Oh, Cindy - your Fire Island Hosta is GORGEOUS!! I remember when you first started playing with it - and thinking that it would probably take me forever if I tried to make make one like it. Are you going to enter it in the Fair? - ;))

Christina said...

Congrats on a gorgous finish! Judy Niemeyer's patterns are gorgeous, but they are a lot of work. To finish it is a great accomplishment.