Monday, September 3, 2012

DWM...

Not exactly ON my design wall. Still in the early designing stage.

I have been asked by a co-worker (for her mother) to make a T-shirt quilt with the grandson's high school and college shirts.

There are 21 t-shirts. Originally she wanted a lay-out of 3 across and 7 down. She wants the quilt bigger than twin size, but it doesn't have to be the size of a double bed. Big enough to cover the guy. She had pictures of how she wanted them laid out. Very helpful!! Anyway, I did some math and sent her the information. The quilt would be skinny and very long. She thought about it and decided that it could bed 4 across and 6 down and she would come up with 3 more shirts. Then she thought some more and decided that it would be fine to be 4 across and 5 down and we could remove one shirt. With 2 inch sashing and a 2 inch border and a 4 inch border I think the size will be fine. I made a new lay-out, took a picture and emailed it to her. Now I am just waiting to hear if the new lay-out is ok.
The reason for the holes in the lay-outs is that for 2 of the shirts we are using both the front and back designs.

And, as I am looking at these lay-outs I see that I have two light colored shirts on top of each other on the upper left. It seems that no matter how hard I try I almost always end up with this problem.Looks like I could swap one of the gray ones near the bottom for one of the white ones near the top. 





1 comment:

A Left-Handed Quilter said...

I had the same problem with my B/w/R quilts - the white ones always seemed to wind up next to each other - until I figured out that I could/should place the white ones FIRST - and then the other ones around them. Your layout looks just fine except for the two on top - I'd move them, too - ;))