Monday, November 30, 2020

Design Wall Monday

To see what other quilters are up to go to Small Quilts and Doll Quilts.

I have finished (I think, hope) all the Churn Dash blocks. Now to get the top together.


My quilt exchange group has met the last two Saturdays in the library parking lot to trade bags. This is the block I made for the exchange that happened this past Saturday.

And, this is the block for the exchange that will happen next Saturday. 

I love that every block looks different depending on fabric choice. There is always a wide range of fabric preferences. 

That will be our last exchange. We will receive our own bags back.

This last one was bittersweet. This one belongs to my friend that passed away recently. We all decided to keep working on it. It will be finished and given to her family. My friend did not think she was a good quilter. She didn't trust her ability to put fabrics together. She was wrong. She loved strong, bright colors. She made many beautiful quilts.

This exchange has been unusual, to say the least. We, as a group, decided early on to keep working on a quilt for another member who started but then had to drop out because of health reasons. We didn't meet for months waiting for Covid to get better. When it became apparent that it wouldn't we changed how we met and changed again when the weather wouldn't let us meet outside. We sped up the meeting schedule from meeting once a month to twice a month and now every week to make up for all the missed times. We shortened to meetings at first to just showing the latest block, to now just passing off the bags to the next person without showing any of the blocks. Before we would put up all the blocks from each bag on a design wall so we could see it all together and ooh and aah over each one. We are finishing quilts for people unable to finish them themselves. This is a great group of caring, creative people. I miss them. We don't know when we will get to meet again. I will likely not see any of these people for months. Damn Covid.

Our friend is doing well. My son and his housemates are doing well. My parents are healthy. I miss them, although I text with Son and Mom every day. When I retired I knew I would be home a lot. I like being at home. I am fine with that. But, I hate the limitations on being able to visit with people I love. 

Stay safe and well. 

1 comment:

A Left-Handed Quilter said...

LOVE all of your Churn Dash blocks - I'm looking forward to seeing them all together. I like your exchange blocks, too - it's always interesting to see how the same block looks with different colors/value placements. I'm glad your family is doing well - and I agree - damn Covid - ;))