Monday, December 7, 2020

All over the place!

To see what other quilters have on their design walls go to Small Quilts and Doll Quilts.

I am all over the place!

First off, I had some over-ripened bananas so I decided to try a new recipe.


Banana Bundt with Brown Sugar Glaze. Yum! If you click on the recipe and then look at my version you can tell that I made a few changes. I thought that a whole cake would be too much for just the two of us.  I halved the cake batter recipe and made it in a round cake pan instead of a bundt pan. I then cut that in half and layered it. I made the full glaze recipe, iced between the layers, the sides, and the top. I didn't add the pecans because I didn't have any on hand, but they would be good. I bought more bananas this week so I see this cake in our future.

I have been working on hand quilting this lovely vintage quilt for my friend.

I am not entirely sure, but I believe the printed fabrics may be flour sack fabrics. They are more loosely woven than the yellow. I have been noticing that the person who pieced this quilt was pretty thrifty. Some of the blocks use all the same printed fabric. Some blocks use two or more printed fabrics.


They are close, but not the same. 

Some blocks have pieced pieces.



These blocks are not perfectly pieced; there are puckers and excess fabric in some places. But, I think this quilt is beautiful. I hope my friend will think so too. I have stopped working on that and picked up some knitting. I'll show you that another day.

On Saturday my quilt group met for the final exchange. We all got our bags back. Here are my blocks.


I made that big block. Now to get to put it together, but not until after the knitting is finished. I will miss this group of ladies. We have decided to not meet again until it is safer to do so. In the meantime, we are thinking about doing a mystery quilt. Our leader will send out clues once a month and we can share our progress as we go along via email and/or text. It will keep us connected but social distant.

Then my niece sent me a message asking for some family photos. That took up some time this weekend. I pulled out one of my boxes of actual photographs.
Oh, the memories. I am pulling photos and making piles for her and also my son.

I do a minimal amount of decorating for holidays.
A fiber optic tree that Husband is in charge of.
He decides when it gets turned on. It stays on until he decides to turn it off sometime in January. We also have a cute Santa figurine that is filled with glitter. It lights up with multi-colored lights and the glitter swirls around. 

There is also a large green ball with rows of lights that flash and blink in several different patterns.
But, this year Husband got creative. He had to get new tractor tires and repurposed a couple of the old ones into this!

I didn't know he was making it. Such a nice surprise!

So I am all over the place with projects and ideas. But, right now I need to get to the knitting!

Stay safe and well.

3 comments:

Bonnie said...

The cake looks really good to me! And, yep, half a recipe would work for me too. Your hubby should get kudos for the wreath tire. Are those lights I see below the ribbon? It's festive and clever. We decided to put up a full size tree instead of the little ones we usually put up. Hubby does most of the decorating but I'm responsible for the decorating and underrating the tree. We are beginning to purge ornaments and items we no longer want. But it isn't making that much of a dent in our basement storage!

A Left-Handed Quilter said...

You have been busy!! I like the places you've been - LOL. The banana cake looks yummy - your hand quilting and blocks are beautiful - and I like your Christmas decorations. Your Husband's tire wreath is VERY creative - thanks for sharing - ;))

chrisknits said...

Lovely hand quilting, and oh my, that tire wreath is perfect! I have a sheet banana cake recipe I love, maybe I should use my bundt to make it prettier?