Wednesday, September 30, 2020

Some of this,

 some of that.

The reason I am two days late with this post is that I spent much of Monday morning on hold, talking to billing, on hold, talking to tech support, on hold, talking to a manager until it was finally decided that yes, we do qualify for credit for the lousy internet service we have received over the last few months. It was also agreed that I should document the download/upload speeds throughout the day when the manager I spoke with was unable to check that for herself because there was NO CONNECTION. I now have a small pad of paper and a pen by the computer and every time I sit down there I first check the speeds and record it. It is not good and continued through Tuesday. Today seems to be better, so far. Unfortunately, this has been a problem with every internet service we have ever used. Then, we got a call from the nursing home where my FIL has been for the last 10 months. They have recently re-opened to outside, socially distanced, masked visits. My FIL asked them to call us to come for a visit. We had not gone because he is very hard of hearing and we figured with the masks and distance that he would have trouble hearing and understanding us. That did prove to be true for a lot of the conversation. I think he was mainly concerned about the harvest. His window faces a main road that area farmers use to haul into the grain elevator. He can see that they are hauling in, but had only seen Husband go by a couple of times (beans are still a little too green and corn isn't ready yet). We spoke with one of the staff members and learned that FIL is eating in the dining hall now. Something he had not been doing since the beginning and said he would not do. He is using a walker to get around. After that, I just didn't feel like doing much, although I did do some general household activities.

Last week I was able to have a socially distanced visit with my parents, son, his GF, and their dog. It was a lovely, sunny day, not too hot, not too cold, so we were able to stay outside. We ordered lunch from the local sub shop which they delivered. It was so nice to be able to do this. 

My mom is trying to clear her house of no longer needed items so she brought me a 4 drawer unit, much like a filing cabinet only not quite.

I have already filled it with my cross-stitch floss and projects. They fit better in these drawers than where they were.

It fits in nicely next to a nightstand that has some of Son's and GF's items stashed in the drawers. Things they might need if they ever get to come for an overnight visit - charging cords, PJs, etc.


I've been working on several projects.
Hexie blocks for my Grandmother's Flower Garden. 
The block on the left looks purplish, but it is an older fabric that is a county blue.

I have also bee working on Block 1 for Amish with a Twist: Series Two: The Classics.

The instructions say to randomly sew 2 1/2 inch strips into strip sets which are then sub-cut into 2 1/2 inch segments. That makes quick work of piecing that part of the blocks. The problem with that is that I ended up with the same or close to the same fabrics next to each other. For several of the blocks, I had to take out a square and insert a different color. I wonder if it would have been easier to just cut 2 1/2 inch squares so that there is more control over where they are placed.

Anyway, I am making progress on those blocks. I need twelve.

I loaded a quilt on the frame and started quilting it today.

You can see other projects waiting in the background.

Then this kit came in the mail from Keepsake QuiltingCrimson Poppy from Quiltworx with Kaffe Fassett fabric.

When Husband says "I like this one, here's the credit card," you order it. Now to get it made!

To see what other quilters are up to for Design Wall Monday go to Small Quilts and Doll Quilts.

2 comments:

A Left-Handed Quilter said...

Love your quilty stuff - especially the new project! Husband has good taste - it's going to be beautiful! - ;))

Judy Hansen said...

Cindy,
I have that Amish with a Twist II project also. A friend gifted it to me half completed. I have it on my UFO list and will probably be working on it in 2021. I will be interested to see how yours progresses. Thanks for faithfully linking to Design Wall Mondays, Judy