Monday, August 13, 2018

It's going to be a busy week...

... starting today. I have already had the oil changed in my car, dropped off paperwork at the farm office, took care of paperwork at school, and filled the car up with gas. I will be going to visit my son tomorrow. Wednesday is a fabric shopping trip with my quilt friends, Thursday we have a funeral, Friday is hair cut day, Sunday I will be attending a quilt show with my quilt friends. Monday is back to school for the staff. After that my time is limited. I am not usually very motivated to do much of anything by the time I get home so my quilt time will be limited to the weekend.

Today I need to gather as much as I can of no longer needed/wanted items. My son is having a garage sale this coming weekend and I figure I can get rid of some stuff and maybe they will make a little money. There is a Goodwill in their town if they have anything left, or a nice, big dumpster behind their apartment building. 

This weekend I finished up this little quilt.



The picture is kind of dark. The background is off-white, almost white. I love the striped binding.

I also made a bed for my son's dog. He has anxiety/stomach issues. Occasionally he makes a mess and last time he ruined the bed that they use in his crate. So I made another for him that is washable. It has an inner pillow encased in a waterproof cover with a decorative cover on the outside.

I pieced batting scraps and layered them until I thought they were thick enough. I stitched them together in several spots so they the batting layers would stay together if this part ever needs to be washed. I covered that with a case made out of on old mattress pad.

I made a zippered cover for the pillow out of a waterproof baby crib mattress pad. It zips closed. Hopefully this layer will protect the pillow from needing washed. 
Then I made a decorative cover by quilting a cute beagle fabric onto the remaining part of the old mattress pad. It also has a zipper closure. 

I think it will be fun to make more decorative outside covers - maybe for each season. I know GF loves Halloween and Christmas. I think it will also be nice to have an extra cover or two for when this one is in the laundry. 

It seemed like a lot of work, but I hope it works so their dog has a nice cushion when he is in his crate. Or the car. They only crate him when have to leave him home alone. He likes to have a cushion when he travels in the car. He settles right down and sleeps on it while they are driving along. I think is makes him feel more secure.



Small Quilts and Doll Quilts is hosting 
Design Wall Mondays and  
What a Hoot Quilts is challenging quilters to 
finish '18 in 2018'.  Check them out.

4 comments:

A Left-Handed Quilter said...

You certainly are going to be busy! Your little quilt is great - and your dog bed/pillow is very clever - I wonder if you could make more and sell them - ;))

Cindy Quilts said...

I think one was enough! I will probably make some more outer covers so they can switch it out once in a while. Also, I recycled some of the materials used in this one AND I spend about 6 hours making it since I had to figure out what I was doing and how to do it so I would have a hard time pricing it. It was a labor of love, but it will be the only one.

ctnbee said...

Thanks very much for the inspirational post. I like reading such information very much. I am sorry that you will have a busy week, but I keep my fingers crossed for you. At the end of the job will be the joy of the work done. I am waiting for the results.

Judy Hansen said...

Great use of batting pieces, and old mattress padding for the dog bed. Your time spent on it was a success, and I love that there can be different covers for different seasons. I like the album block too - I am making some of those for an upcoming exchange with other quilters. Thank for linking with Design Wall Mondays, Judy