Saturday, August 25, 2018

A Long Week

School started for me on Monday with 2 days of Teacher Institute days. Aides are scheduled to work half days those two days; I got to work full days (because I need the time). These two days went better than I expected them to. One of my duties is getting the bus check-off sheets and special bus tags ready for the teachers. I also make book bag tags and attach them to the students bags. I am not going to go into all the details, but will just say it takes a long time to do this. After working many hours of overtime last year my principal finally understood that I need extra time to get all this done and let me work full days. I was much less stressed this year and let her know how much I appreciated the extra time.

Students started on Wednesday. I was very glad to see Friday. The first week... or three... of school is always chaotic until the students learn the routine. Many of these kids have not been to daycare or preschool so they haven't learned the fine art of lining up in a straight line, not cutting in line, waiting their turn, having to sit and listen, following directions. I could go on, but I won't. I am not looking forward to Monday.

Today I am playing catch up. I feel like I haven't gotten much accomplished, but I have. I have the fourth load of laundry in the dryer, I've done work for school, and played with fabric.

We have the students line up by class in the gym after PE and recess. The color printer at school is out of some of the ink colors so I did it at home, and also laminated them.


I am also making a sign for my room so the students know where my room is and with the times I have students. Occasionally someone else needs a quiet place to work with students and want to use my room so I like to post the times I am working with students. 

My quilting group finished our exchange at our last meeting and then decided what to do for our next exchange which will begin in September. I gathered my fabrics and got them into my bag. 

We are using a pattern that uses a medallion with 12 inch blocks around it. 

My fabric is all solids this time.

My medallion is from a Round Robin I participated in years (30!) ago and never finished. It measures about 40 inches which would make a nice wall hanging. I made the Feathered Star block in the middle. Four more borders were added by the Round Robin participants. I don't have much wall space in my house and had thought to enlarge it to be bed sized, but life got busy and I never got around to it. So now I am! 

On a sad note, this little quilt that I made for my great-niece due the end of August will not get to by used. Last week when my niece went for her doctor visit there was no heartbeat. I am so sad for her and her husband.
 


Small Quilts and Doll Quilts is hosting 
Design Wall Mondays and  
What a Hoot Quilts is challenging quilters to 
finish '18 in 2018'.  Check them out.

No comments: