Wednesday, December 30, 2015

My Sewing Spot

I have been trying to reorganize - declutter - rearrange my sewing space for a while. I am set up in our living room. I had a 6 foot table in there under the bay window. It took up a lot of space and blocked access to curtains in that window. The window faces south and we need to close the curtains frequently to reduce glare on the TV which is in the south east corner of that room. My son has his spot set up by that window and TV so he can see the TV (legally blind) I wanted to put to use another chair in that room so when we do have the occasional visitor there is an extra chair. But that table was also great to use for cutting. I will miss it for that. We did get a little table slightly bigger than a TV tray table that works OK and my son uses it when he is home for his laptop. I wanted a cutting area and ironing area near the sewing machine and think I finally have come up with a good solution.


This shot is looking from my recliner which is near the bay window. I have the cubby (it's sold for shoes, but works great for fabric!) of scraps under the table (this one is 4 foot). There are fabric pieces cut to size in the rainbow tower drawers starting with 2 inch squares and strips at the top and getting bigger by 1/2 inch all the way down.

This shot is from my husband's recliner.

The wire egg basket works great for holding fabric scraps that I am using for the 4 inch paper pieced Christmas blocks. The big box holds my Civil War Sampler fabrics. The stack of white/off-white fabrics are being used in a scrappy quilt I am using as a Leader/Ender project.

I am using one 15 inch cube for a cutting spot...


 and one for an ironing spot.


An inexpensive letter sorter works well for holding rulers. It is also handy for holding printed quilt patterns and instructions when they are not in use.


This is working well, but I am sure I will tweak it some more. I am thinking of making a hanging ruler holder as this one seems to be a little bit in the way.

I like this idea if I can figure out a place to hang it.

Quilting Ruler Holder that hangs on the wall - made with recycled jeans pants legs - GENIUS!

No comments: