Monday, August 15, 2011

Visitor

We have a visitor. A couple of weeks ago a pigeon showed up on the farm. It didn't seem to be afraid of us, but also didn't seem to be able to fly. The next day the bird was standing in the middle of the road. My husband caught it, which wasn't too hard since the bird didn't fly away. We put it in a pet carrier to keep it safe and gave it some grain and water. I had noticed it has bands on its legs so I got on-line to see what I could find out. I found some information and e-mailed the address listed. I live in Illinois. The information suggests that the bird is from Iowa. The response said to contact ______ and gave me a phone number. When I called that number I got an answering machine so I left a message. This was on a Thursday. When I didn't hear back from that number I decided that person could be away from home for the weekend and decided to continue to care for the bird. On Monday afternoon I still had not heard back from them so I left another e-mail letting them know I had tried to contact that person. The response was another phone number. When I called that number it was not the person it was suppose to be. He said he gets calls a lot for the other person. Sent another e-mail. Got 5 more numbers to try and a suggestion that if the bird seemed healthy to release it. I released it. It is still here. We have taken to calling it Homer - as in homing pigeon, it was my son's idea. :) I don't know if the bird is male or female but we keep saying 'he' when referring to it. Anyway, Homer makes his way all over the farm. He hangs out in the shed where hay is stored. He hangs out on the ramp railing, the steps, the swing, under the trees, all over. I think he likes it here. And, I don't see him fly. We worry that some creature will get him. Hopefully he can fly and will be able to get away from anything that could hurt him.


Oh, and just for fun here is a picture of some of my flowers. :)


No comments: