Monday, August 22, 2011

Design Wall Monday...

Today was the start of the new school year for faculty and staff. I am 'staff' - a teacher's aide. Today and tomorrow are filled with meetings, information, introduction of new faculty/staff, etc. The students start Wednesday. No more sleeping late, days filled with quilting, or whatever, for me. It all comes to a grinding halt. By the time I get home from work I am tired and have household/family stuff to do - supper, laundry, cleaning, etc. I still am able to get some quilting in on the weekends, but not as much as in the summer.

I attended a birthday party for a friend's mother, her 70th. She recently became a resident in a nursing home and it was requested that there be no gifts since she shares a small room with a roommate. I made her a fabric card that I thought she would be able to have out in her room.

I am working on 2 baby quilts for the same friend. 2 daughters each having a baby; one in September, one in October. The October one decided that today was a good day to come into the world. Mother and baby are both doing well. That top is ready to be quilted. I will post a picture when it is finished. I haven't started the other one yet.

I got this guy hung up this weekend. I had mostly finished it a while back but just got around to binding it this weekend. He is now hanging in my kitchen. I will probably regret that but I have decorated my kitchen with roosters so that's where he fits!

I have stopped working on Shining Stars. I just need a break from them. I finished all the blocks for Strip Around the Block. I need to get fabric for the setting triangles, borders, binding and backing.

Just to show how busy I have been this summer, here is a picture of all the spools I have emptied.

3 comments:

marcella said...

The card you made is really pretty and what a great idea too! Well you made amazing progress this summer by your empty spool count! I think you'll really enjoy having that rooster to look at in your kitchen - what a fun quilt!

Angie in SoCal said...

The floral card is darling and love that rooster. He's big!

Gari in AL said...

Love your rooster. My mother has collected chickens/roosters for years and would have loved it. Unfortunately she is now 89 and has run out of room. ;)