Wednesday, June 29, 2022

Plugging Away

 To see what other quilters are up to go to Small Quilts and Doll Quilts.

I got the border added to the Cat quilt.

I know you will be happy to see that it has been approved by Hoppy Cat.

I got the borders on the Duck Goose panel quilt.
It is next up to be quilted.

I finished the Christmas Star quilt.
It will be a fair entry.

In my quest to finish up UFOs I pulled out Jacob's Garden. 
When I searched for it to find a link I was only able to find it on eBay and Amazon. The copyright date is 2005, which is probably close to when I started this project.

I tried to figure out why I hadn't it. There are a number of reasons. One is probably the size - 52 x 52. I may have wanted it to be bigger. The second is the applique border. I like it, it is lovely, but I know it would take me a long time to do. Thirdly, I didn't love the way it looked when pieced together. I had gone as far as sewing those sawtooth borders on before I put it away.

I have now removed the borders and taken the whole center apart. I didn't really care for that red and black block on the bottom right and decided to eliminate that one and one of the tan and red ones. 
That meant I needed to make two more blocks. Then, I thought maybe I would change the layout.
I decided to go with the top layout, have made the needed blocks, and have the top row sewn together. Now I need to decide if I want to leave the applique border off altogether or find a large print fabric that could replace the applique border.

Next, I pulled out Serene Glow, another older project.

Again, this is an older pattern. I started it in 2009 and finished it up in 2012. It will be next up for quilting after Duck Goose.

I am working on a block for a fair entry. It is a 12-inch block.
I like the pattern, Hopscotch, and love the fabrics. They were a 5-yard bundle from Boline'sI'm just not sure there is enough contrast. 

I'm still doing battle with the bunnies. I was so desperate to save my plants that I covered them with whatever I could find. 
Yes, that is a rack from an old dishwasher. Hey, it worked but has since been replaced with something a little better. 
Fencing and chicken wire cloches work well, too.
This one is a tomato cage wrapped in chicken wire.

Husband had made some protectors out of woven wire fencing that work well, but aren't the greatest looking. I am using chicken wire cloches from Gardner's Supply, but they aren't always tall enough. I made a couple using tomato cages and chicken wire. They will work since they are open on top allowing plants to get as tall as they want, but I hope they lose the 'shiny' look so they aren't so noticeable. It's funny how some plants get tasted and some don't. I really wouldn't care too much if the rabbits ate the wild daylilies that are taking over my front bed.
I am still digging them out, but it is harder now that they are blooming. They are pretty, but just don't stay where I want them to.

Poor Hoppy Cat was exhausted after sneaking into the basement when I took a load of laundry down.
I didn't even know he had gotten down there until he started meowing - loudly. But, then he wouldn't come to me so he spent a little time down there. There is so much junk down there that I don't want him to get into something or somewhere and not be able to get out. Crazy cat!

Stay safe and well.
Happy quilting!

3 comments:

A Left-Handed Quilter said...

LOVE your projects! Especially the border on Duck Goose! I think a large floral would work as a border for the Jacob's blocks - and agree that the 12" block doesn't have much contrast. I also love your ingenuity in keeping the bunnies out of your garden - ;))

loulee said...

You have some lovely quilts going on there. For Jacobs garden, I would probably look for a good border fabric, just in the interests of getting it finished.
Cute kitty.

Angie in SoCal said...

What great progress you are making on your UFO! Congrats!! My favorite is the Duck Goose panel quilt. Love that border. That's a good idea to find a fabric to replace the applique border. Will get done faster.