Monday, October 18, 2021

Design Wall October 18, 2021

To see what other quilters have on their design walls go to Small Quilts and Doll Quilts.

I had an interesting week - a planned visit with my son and parents one day to celebrate Son's birthday, and a couple of unexpected visits with out-of-state family on two different days. 

In between all that I pulled the blocks out for the Rainbow Rails quilt
I have all the sashing strips sewn between the blocks. Now I need to cut and sew the strips between the rows. My design wall isn't big enough to get them all up there so a row and half are on the floor.

I continue to work on the Disappearing Rail Fence quilt. 
I pieced 88 blocks before I ran out of cut pieces. I think I will stop there. You can see in my notes that I had planned to make 99 blocks for a quilt measuring 72 x 88 inches. I think an 8 x 10 layout measuring 64 x 80 will be just fine. (I really, really don't want to cut any more fabric. I just want to be done with this quilt.)

I work on this quilt mainly during phone conversations with my son. I have one more row to piece, then that row and another to sew onto the rest and it will be a top.

My goal at this time is to get my started projects to completed tops.
However, I do have a couple of projects that need to be complete finishes as they will be needed as gifts soon.

One of those projects is a futon cover for my SIL's new husband. He is a Packers fan and a Cubs fan. I am piecing big squares - Packers for one side, Cubs for the other.
Before going to visit my son I quickly got the Packers fabrics pieced so I could see if it would fit the futon cushion.
I measured well; it fit perfectly.
I appliqued a baseball block for the Cubs side. It's not this yellow in real life.
I started laying out blocks. I only had enough of the lighter Cubs print to cut two blocks and one of them I had to piece a strip on the bottom to make it long enough. I can't find that print anywhere. I have ordered another print with baseballs and ball bats to see if I like it. We'll see. These will be quilted with a muslin backing before sewn together into a cover with a zipper on one end for easy removal for washing.

Sew, back to finishing the Disappearing Rail fence top.

Stay safe and well.
Happy quilting!

5 comments:

A Left-Handed Quilter said...

LOVE your projects - as usual! I agree 64 x 80 is a good size for a lap quilt - ;))

Kim said...

Why have a 72 x 88 quilt when you can have a 64 x 80 quilt. =) The Disappearing Rail Fence does look great. Love those happy and bright rainbow rail fences. Fabulous futon cover, too.

AnnieO said...

Lots of great color and pattern on your design wall. Love the green disappearing block. I'm with you on getting to the finish line faster.

Quiltpiecer said...

Great projects! The Disappearing Rail Fence block reminds me of a quilt I made using a pattern by Eleanor Burns. Thanks for sharing the link to the free pattern.

Sharon Kwilter said...

I sympathize with you being ready to get that quilt finished. I often get burned out on projects before I finish them. Sometimes I need to set them aside temporarily and come back and finish them later.