Monday, October 11, 2021

Design Wall Monday

To see what other quilters have on their design walls go to Small Quilts and Doll Quilts.

We had a beautiful sunrise this morning.
Please excuse the propane tank and garden mess. That's part of living in the country sometimes.

Here is a photo with the propane tank cropped out. The old adage, "Red sky at night, sailor's delight. Red sky at morning, sailors take warning" may prove true for us today. We are predicted to have severe weather later in the day. Because of that Husband is trying to finish up a partial field of corn today. 

The wet weather, along with warmer than normal temperatures, we have had lately has caused some of my flowering plants to put on a late season show.
The hibiscus is loaded with buds - I counted 19! 

This mum grows larger every year.

This hummingbird was here for a day or two last week.

I haven't seen any in the last two days. They are fun to watch. I will miss them.

Inside I have been busy. I have sewn 47 blocks for the Pins and Paws quilt
I also cut the inner border. That is put away for the moment while I add borders to this Quilter's Exchange quilt. 
I am second-guessing my decision again. I am unsure if the outer borders are a good idea. 
I was thinking that maybe it should just be bound with the solid purple with the setting triangles being the outside edge. But, then I got on Pinterest and saw a lot of quilts with more borders added after the setting triangles. So I guess I need to just add the top and bottom borders to this top and it will be ready to quilt. This is Johnny Around the Corner from quilterscashe.com and makes a twelve-inch block. My Exchange group exchanged six-inch blocks to fit in the middle. I decided to set mine on point and borders to make it bigger. 

I finished quilting the rainbow scrappy squares quilt.
It has been very windy here so I haven't been able to take photos outside.

I got all the blocks pieced for the Exchange mystery.

All the fabrics except the backing have arrived for the Duck Goose Panel quilt. The backing is the same as the gold to brown ombre only it's a wide back.


I think they look great especially considering that I picked them out online. I'll use this pattern for the borders.
This quilt is no longer a priority since the person who requested it changed their mind, but I will still go ahead and make it at some point, in my spare time. Hahahaha!

I'm continuing work on the Disappearing Rail Fence project.

And, I have cut and started sewing on another project.
These blocks will become a futon cover - Cubs on one side, Packers on the other. 
My son has a futon that he is giving to my SIL and BIL. They plan to put this in their basement for extra seating when watching sporting events, when young family members visit, for the dogs to lay on. I think it is mostly for the dogs to lay one, thus the need for washing. Anyway, my son thought it would be cool if I could make a removable cover with the sports-themed fabric and that it could be made so that Cubs are featured on one side during baseball season and Packers on the other side during football season. My son apparently thinks I can do anything. I will layer it with batting and muslin and quilt it, add the zipper and hopefully, he likes it. My biggest concern is the very long zipper that will need to be inserted on one end so the cover can be removed for washing. I can do zippers, I just don't like to. 

Stay safe and well.
Happy quilting!

4 comments:

Kim said...

But....you an do anything, can't you?? =) Your Quilter's Exchange quilt is beautiful. Love the purple border dancing around all those lovely blocks. So much lovely detail in each block. You have a lot of happy flowers still blooming to enjoy. Love that awesome sunrise.

AnnieO said...

Lots of great stitching in your future. I think the purple borders look good on the first quilt--plus it makes it larger; I'm always a fan of that.
Hope your experiment with the cover works out.

A Left-Handed Quilter said...

Mom can do anything!! That sunrise is beautiful - and your projects are as well. I like the border on your exchange quilt - it seemed to fade to the background and my eyes went to the center with the pretty blocks. That ombre fabric is gorgeous - and that quilt will be REALLY nice. I have a feeling that that person might regret changing their mind - LOL - ;))

Kat Scribner said...

Love that quilters exchange quilt. Interesting blocks, colors, and layout! It's gonna be a great quilt!