Monday, March 29, 2021

Design Wall Monday

 To see what other quilters are up to go to Small Quilts and Doll Quilts.

I spent a couple of days last week with Son again. He is doing well but sometimes needs help with things. I think we both enjoy the time together but are both ready for me to go home after a while. And, I am ok with that! He does get lonely and bored, though. He is not able to drive because of his vision impairment so he is pretty much stuck at home unless one of his buddies comes by. That hasn't been happening much because of Covid and cold weather, but one has had Covid and the other has been vaccinated. Both buddies have motorcycles with sidecars and with the warmer weather coming they will be including him on some rides which he loves. He needs to find a hobby that is easy and inexpensive. So far he hasn't liked any of my suggestions. He says knitting and sewing just aren't his thing. Can you imagine?

I finished sewing the binding down on a little quilt while at his house.



This quilt is probably at least as old as he is.  It is sunny today but windy and cold. There was frost on the windshield of Husband's farm truck this morning. Brr! I am ready for Spring!

Apparently, my daffodils are not, though. My friends have been posting photos on Facebook showing their daffodils in bloom. This photo of mine was taken on the 25th and they still look like this.
This isn't unusual though. Here is a photo from March 30, 2020.

This little beauty visited my yard this morning.



It started with its back to me, but then turned and started singing away!

In the sewing room, I have made another set of blocks for the Stash Busters Challenge 2021.

You can see a bit of the project I am working on below the star blocks in that photo. Son needs a bigger quilt for his new bed. He likes the wildlife/deer/camo look. I am using a nice deer-by-the-cabin panel for the center. I am combining a couple of ideas that were posted on Facebook or Pinterest. So far I have bordered the panel in black and made the half star blocks. These only go on the top and bottom of the panel. 

The next border will consist of a dark brown mottled print and a bark print with hoof prints appliqued on the white camo in between and will go all the way around with some rock prints in the corners.


And, I got one camo/hoof print border appliqued. But, I soon realized I would not have enough of some of the fabrics. I ordered more from the online site I bought from previously. It arrived last week. All the fabrics looked exactly like the previous order except the snow camo print. It is grayer than the previous order.

I took a pic and shared it with Son. He assures me that this is just the nature of that print. He has a couple of sweatshirts with this print and they change from brownish to grayish. While I am not happy about it he is not bothered by it at all. I will make all four white camo/hoof print borders with this new white camo fabric. Since Son says he isn't bothered about the color differences I will not remake the half star blocks. Those have their own story that I will share another time. 

I am patiently waiting, but getting frustrated, for delivery of batting. As you can see I ordered this batting on Friday, March 19.
It moved from Florida to Tennessee, then Illinois. On the following Friday, tracking showed it was on the truck for delivery that day. I waited. No delivery. Tracking said it would be delivered Saturday. I waited and watched because it was raining and I didn't want it to sit outside in the rain. No delivery. Tracking then showed delivery would be on Tuesday. Wait, what? Why not Monday? I kept updating tracking. I would show delivery for Tuesday, then Monday, then Tuesday, etc. Finally, on Sunday afternoon there was a notation that the barcode label was unreadable. This made me nervous. Was the entire package damaged? Were the contents damaged?
This morning tracking showed that it was on the truck for delivery today. We'll see. I don't have my hopes up.

MY BATTING WAS JUST DELIVERED! It is wrapped in plastic, not in a box. The label is torn, but the plastic is intact and the batting is not damaged. Yippee!

On another note, I have been reading a few blogs that show people with their 'Covid hair'. Hair that is longer than they like, color is growing out, etc. but haven't been able to get in for hair appointments. I decided shortly before I retired to let my short, short hair grow a little. I had decided years ago to just go with the natural hair color but I was tired of having to get a haircut every 4 weeks and wanted a change. I usually don't see many people over the summer so that was a good time to let it grow a little. I knew it would probably drive me crazy until it got to a stage where I could clip it away from my face and not look attractive at all. But, it was a decision I made knowing the frustrations that lay ahead. I'm glad I made that decision voluntarily before Covid. Being forced to take that route would have been really frustrating. Anyway, it has been two years since I got a haircut. I went from very short to long.

I usually wear it braided or up on top of my head. What's funny about this is that for the first few months husband didn't think it was growing! 

Husband and I will be trying to make appointments to get our Covid vaccines soon. Our county will be expanding appointments for the Moderna vaccine to people 18 and older starting tomorrow. I expect those will fill quickly though.

Stay safe and well.

2 comments:

A Left-Handed Quilter said...

Your Son's quilt is looking good! I'm glad he isn't bothered by the brown/gray color change - and that he likes it! Your hair looks good, too! - ;))

tealeafquilts said...

What a great blog! Love the camo tree fabric. Would you share where you got it? And I love the braided hair. My hair is natural and I get a cut every 5 to 6 weeks but I love the ease of it.