Saturday, March 13, 2021

I have

 made a decision and I have a plan!

I'm talking about my scraps.

I have a 10-drawer unit and 2 large shopping bags of scraps. There is more, but we won't discuss that right now.
Anyway, I decided that sorting by color and not cutting into sizes would work better for me. And, save me some time and work. So I pulled out the drawers and sorted them by color. Then I pulled out the bags and started sorting them. 

Triangles are in their own pile to be used for ... something. Any piece big enough to cut a two-inch square from goes into a pile to be put into a fabric basket. Anything smaller than two inches goes into a separate pile.

I am making a fabric basket, one for each color, using this pattern Pink Penguin. I am making mine the larger size.

So far I have made a green basket. 

Each basket will live on top of my stacks of fabric which are sorted by color on a shelf.
This has been a good stash-busting project. Each basket uses 24 three-inch squares of print fabric. For the bottom and inside handles I am using something that I have had for a while. It looks like muslin, but heavier, but not quite a canvas. The lining is a white-on-white stripe that I just couldn't seem to like for a quilt but works great for this project. 

The pieces smaller than two inches will all live together in one of those large shopping bags for now. I am saving the small pieces for small paper piecing projects.
I have already made one of these, Diamond Log Cabin by Cindi Edgerton. I have a few more of her patterns, too. This finished at 22 inches. I plan to make at least three more to be set together into a bigger quilt.
You can see that the pieces needed are very small!

I will keep working to make more fabric baskets. Once the drawer unit is empty of fabric, I will probably store my card-making supplies in some of the drawers. The triangles/HST units will probably go in at least one drawer, too. This is a work in progress right now, so things could change, but at least I have a plan and am working towards being organized in a way that helps me be more productive.

Stay safe and well.

1 comment:

A Left-Handed Quilter said...

Oooh - I LOVE your plan - and your baskets!! I tried sorting my scraps by size and shape - but could never find what I wanted. I tend to keep triangles and "crumbs" separate - but other than that - it's so much easier to sort by color and cut what you need when you need it - ;))