Wednesday, January 6, 2021

Stand Up Sewing

I am giving it a try. At my annual medical appointment in October, I was told everything looked good, except for my blood pressure. It was high. I was told to monitor it daily, lose weight, exercise. If it doesn't come down I will need medication. My blood pressure fluctuates but it usually in the acceptable range. My clothes don't seem to fit any differently so I don't think I have lost weight. If I have it isn't enough to notice, I have stopped using salt, have a cup of coffee with breakfast every morning, then water the rest of the day, cut out snacking, am eating more fruits and veggies. I have a hard time getting exercise. It's cold, snow, icy here and the wind blows most of the time. I do not enjoy any of that for outside exercise. I am trying to go up and down my stairs but my knees don't like that. I tend to sit for hours at the sewing machine. I have everything I need right there.



TV in front of me, cutting and ironing stations to the right. I don't need to get up for much - bathroom breaks and to refill my water glass.

I need to move more. I have been standing up to sew for a little bit every day for the last few days.


I sew a seam, take a couple steps to the iron or turn and take a couple steps to trim or cut. It seems to be working well. I know it really doesn't qualify as exercise, but at least I am moving a little and NOT sitting.

So what am I sewing? I got two blocks made for the Stash Buster Challenge 2021. I cut more this morning.

I made one butterfly block using the RSC color of the month - pink.

I am determined to clear out some of the 'stuff' in my stash this year. I have a lot of small amounts of yarn left from other projects. None of it is really enough to make anything big, like a sweater or afghan. I decided to make hats to donate.




Now I just need to find somewhere to donate them. I used my Hall canister for a model! It worked perfectly.

The weather has not been nice here all year. We got ice, snow, freezing temps, freezing fog, dense fog. It has looked much like this since January 1st. 
It did begin to melt some yesterday but was still foggy, hazy, gloomy.

The sun did come out for a bit today causing the ice on the trees to start to melt and fall.


You can't see it in the photos but it was raining ice chunks for a while! It sounded like drums on the ramp.

Stay safe and well.

1 comment:

A Left-Handed Quilter said...

Your butterfly and hats are nice and cheery with such gloomy weather. Your "stand up sewing" may not seem like much now - but I'll bet it will make a big difference after a month or so. Any exercise is better than no exercise - ;))