Wednesday, January 20, 2021

I have a plan!

Really, I do! Fabric arrived at my house yesterday. I did not just buy 
fabric to buy it, I do have a plan. 
My son has been sending me ideas 
for a new quilt for him. 




These are photos of quilts seen on Pinterest and Facebook. I have the panels featured in the two at the bottom. We both like the middle one, the one with the two men holding it, the best. I like all parts of that one and we both like parts in all the quilts. The hoof prints in the border in the top quilt - I'm thinking those on a light brown border between two darker shades of brown (like the middle quilt border). He wants them on white camo print. I don't think they will show up well on that but told him I would try it and see. 
In this pile of fabric that arrived yesterday are the panel that I had at the bottom, dark brown blender, tan blender, gold blender, green blender, white camo, all over camo, stones print, stones with leaves print, camo with deer print. I'm not sure about the dark brown. I'm also not sure I will use the green, but I think it will go well with the other prints. I like both the stone prints but will only use one of them. I want this quilt to be big enough to at least cover the top of his new bed which is queen-sized, although I don't think it really matters much to him as he won't be using it as the main cover for his bed. I mentioned I have that other panel as well. I am trying to decide if I should use it to make a two-sided quilt. Well, all quilts are two-sided! but that would make it so either side could be shown. Or should I make two quilts? Hmmm... what to do?

I also received these two pieces.
The football print will be used in a quilt I have planned. The John Deere fabric may end up as masks if there is a request for them, and there may be. If not used for masks it will get used for something else.

My stand up sewing has been for piecing A Sparkling Sampler.

I have the bottom section and the middle section pieced. They are both sideways in these photos. Don't ask me why I started at the bottom and am working up, I don't know! I work on this when Son calls. I put him on speaker and sew away. It doesn't require too much concentration and I need to be doing something as these conversations have been a bit stressful the last few weeks. I realized as I was piecing this that I wouldn't have enough of the solid tan to make the small inside border. I don't remember if it is Kona or another brand. I don't remember where I got it. I do have a Kona Color Card, but I have had it for years. None of the swatches was an exact match. I ordered something that would definitely be a different color so it wouldn't look I was trying to match and got it wrong but still go well with the rest of the fabrics. I knew that the image on the computer monitor might not show the correct color, but I am pleased with it.
My photos are NOT color correct, they should be more goldish. Trust me, it looks good. 

Also, this happened. 
And, you know what that means! Well, if you are a paper foundation piecer you know what that means. It means the papers are coming off. It's kind of fun to tear those off, and exciting because the next part is sewing all those units together.
But it is messy.
So I got the units pinned up on the wall in quadrants like that pattern says to do.
Then, I stitched a quadrant.

So exciting! But, then I set it aside. My niece sent me a message over the weekend. Her favorite little fingertip micro pot holders and been placed too close to the stove burner and got scorched. Badly. They can't be saved. She was sad because she uses them all the time. She thought I had made them for her which made her even sadder. I didn't make them. But I told her I could make her some more to go with the bowl buddies I had made her a couple of years ago.
That made her happy! So I have been working on a set of heart-shaped potholders.



Green painter's tape works great for getting those quilting lines spaced evenly! One is finished, one more almost finished. I am using a layer of cotton batting and a layer of Insulbrite. It is very thick and my machine is struggling to go through all the layers, especially where the binding and hanging loop are, but I am almost finished. I don't think I will make these again. I am not enjoying it...at all.

Since the first of the year, most of my days have been cold, cloudy, snowy, icy.

If you click to enlarge this photo of the barn you can see the snow.
Today the sun is finally shining. There are still patches of snow, but once the sun moves that will melt.

Stay safe and well.

No comments: