Monday, May 28, 2018

Busy Weekend

School is winding down. Thursday is the last day, a day of fun and play 
and we dismiss 2 hours earlier than normal. I am looking forward to 
some quiet time and time to spend with my quilting and gardening.
 
Saturday was the 1 year anniversary of my brother's death. 
 
 
Mike and Levi R-100 target course 2016. It was so muddy!
Bee keeper
He planted red clover. He was so excited it was coming up! Taken a few days before he died.
He was a Stride coach.
Teaching a friend about motorcycle safety.
Mike, his daughter and wife.
 
He was passionate about life. He loved his family, conservation, was a dedicated law enforcer officer, concerned about motorcycle safety, mentored at risk youth. 
He was kind, compassionate and giving. He is greatly missed by many.
 
The Red Cross hosted a blood drive in his memory.

Received this T-shirt for giving blood.
My niece donating.
The goal was 60 units. They fell short with just over 50 donated. 
There were several first time donors, my 80+ year old mother included.
One of my cousins lives in California. They are visiting his parents and he, his wife, son and brother took time out of their vacation to donate.
 The people who checked us in felt that the holiday weekend may have affected the number of people donating. We are thankful for the people who did take time to donate. Mike would have been honored that they did.

Then it was on to more family activities. 
A lot of us moved on to Cracker Barrel for supper and visiting. Then my son and I went to my sister-in-laws house to drop off our things since we were spending the night. We ventured out to SIL's sisters cabin for some more visiting with different family members. It ended up being a late night - 3:00 am before we were all in bed. I am forced to be an earlier riser being married to a farmer so I was awake by 5:00, but forced myself to stay in bed until 6:30. We spent the morning walking the dogs on the prairie my brother established and SIL continues to keep walking paths mowed. It is good exercise for her and her dogs. The red clover my brother planted last year is blooming. 
We were invited to a cookout lunch at her other sister's cabin. 
It was nice to see a different group of family/friends. 
It was very hot, but the food and fellowship was worth it. 


Mid-afternoon my son and I headed back to my house.
 I am tired today, but thankful for the memories of my 
brother that were shared over the weekend.

I took a little tour of my yard this morning.







 
Things are growing despite the windy, hot weather.
 
http://smallquiltsanddollquilts.blogspot.com/2018/05/design-wall-monday-may-28-2018.html
 
What a Hoot Quilts is challenging quilters to finish '18 in 2018'
 
Check them out.

1 comment:

AnnieO said...

My sympathies on the loss of your brother. That was a pretty good turnout for blood donations! Hope the outdoor time soothed you.